EPI dog can't gain weight

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Germohawk
State: Virginia
Pet name: Bailey
My name: Maggie

Re: EPI dog can't gain weight

Post by Germohawk » 08 Feb 2024, 10:24

Sorry I did not mention the enzyme that I use for my dog.

Currently I use Pantenex that I bought from Amazon. I give her 3 meals per day, for each meals, it contains 1 1/2 cup blue dog food and some chicken breast and squash/carrot, so almost 4 cups dog food and half pound chicken breast. Am I feeding her too little or too much? She seems still not getting weight. Good news is that no belly rumbling any more. her stool is little soft in the past 2 days.

Olesia711 wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 10:44 Hi Maggie, glad to hear you will be re-checking for possible diabetes. Even thou it sounds like just a remote possibility, it is better to be safe than sorry..........

what enzymes are you using? (my apologies if you mentioned this already)

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Feb 2024, 10:49

how much enzymes are you giving with each meal??? Pantenenx is on the list as one of the correct enzymes for EPI.

And no.... that does not sound like too much food... her metabolism may be high in addition to the EPI condition where a lot of EPI dogs simply require more food than what is suggested in order for them to maintain their weight.

If you can answer how much enzymes you are giving, that would be very helpful.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Germohawk
State: Virginia
Pet name: Bailey
My name: Maggie

Post by Germohawk » 08 Feb 2024, 13:26

Thank you so much for answering my questions. I am just worried that she is always suffering from hungry. I add 1 1/4 tsp enzymes for each of her meal.
Olesia711 wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 10:49 how much enzymes are you giving with each meal??? Pantenenx is on the list as one of the correct enzymes for EPI.

And no.... that does not sound like too much food... her metabolism may be high in addition to the EPI condition where a lot of EPI dogs simply require more food than what is suggested in order for them to maintain their weight.

If you can answer how much enzymes you are giving, that would be very helpful.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Feb 2024, 20:41

try giving 1+1/2 tsp of enzymes per 1+1/2 cup of food..... see if this helps.............. and let us know how it goes.....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........