Counter Surfing

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mamabear7
State: Kansas
Pet name: Ruby

Counter Surfing

Post by mamabear7 » 09 Feb 2024, 14:01

Earlier today my son left a half eaten banana and whole small orange on the table and while in my daughter’s care our EPI boxer did a little counter surfing and consumed the full banana and chewed on the orange in the 2 minutes she was left unattended. Called the vet and they had no concerns. I gave her two enzyme tablets to hopefully cover the amount of ”extra” food she ate. They were surprised the bitter peel didn’t deter her. She has pica so I definitely was not surprised. We had been doing SO good with her poop. Does anyone have any experience with a counter surfing EPI dog? Did you just administer enzymes? I thought about activated charcoal but I read banana peel isn’t toxic to dogs. We went ahead and fed her lunch - 1.5 cups of PPP GE and 2 Pancreplus tablets ground up and incubated for 20 mins. Any suggestions of what else we can do to help her sensitive tummy not go on a bender would be appreciated! We considered inducing vomiting at the beginning but she struggles to vomit without choking regularly (severe underbite) so I didn’t want to risk aspiration.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Re: Counter Surfing

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 09 Feb 2024, 14:11

I do have some experience with an EPI doggo finding food. Everything should be fine. Even IF you didn't give enzymes, worse case scenario is they would have one or two yucky poops (assuming everything else is taken care). The only thing you have to worry about is if the peel gets lodged in the GI tract. It is unlikely unless they swallowed it whole.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Feb 2024, 17:02

Naughty Ruby should be just fine, and you did the right thing by giving some food with enzymes...
The only thing i can think of for the counter surfing is look into behavior modification..... that ought to be fun (not!)... so maybe clicker (or noise deterrent) re-training??? or something similar??
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 11 Feb 2024, 13:48

Montgomery will snatch things off his friends and relations once in awhile and usually he's okay (except for the sardine incident). They make this thing called a Ssscat! which you can use to deter an animal from doing things like counter-surfing. Its a can of compressed air with a motion sensor. Every time the sensor is blocked, it releases a hiss of air that will startle the would-be theif. Conversely, the old trick of putting carpet protector wrong-side up on the counter can work, too. My Morgenne, unfortunately, learned to stop snatching things when she got a mouthful of wasabi after attacking my vegan sushi. You could use a taste-deterrant if it comes down to it - bread with Bitter Apple in it, for example.

If you want a funny story, we had two of these Ssscat! cans on our counters at one point because of a foster cat who would do bad things in the night if we didn't. My roommate forgot this, wandered into the kitchen in the middle of the night, set both of them off, and scared the living heck out of herself.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Feb 2024, 19:02

oh that is too funny V :lol: .... nothing like scaring yourself with something meant for the cats!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........