Pancreatin irritating human skin?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
patty_on
Pet name: Bonnie

Pancreatin irritating human skin?

Post by patty_on » 14 Feb 2024, 18:33

Odd question for everyone on the forum.

My puppy is only 5.5 months old so I do training sessions with her before every meal using about half her portion of kibbles. Now that I've started adding pancreatin to her kibbles (moistened and incubated for 20 minutes), I've noticed that the skin on the hand I use to feed her is itchy and irritated. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be wearing gloves? (Worried her puppy teeth will nip holes in gloves anyway, though I could try it.)

The itchy/irritated feeling goes away after I wash and moisturize my hands. Is it possible there could be any long term effects?

This seems unimportant given all the other EPI stuff but it is quite unpleasant!

Thanks very much.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Re: Pancreatin irritating human skin?

Post by Montgomery » 14 Feb 2024, 18:38

Yes. If I've stuffed a couple of enzyme capsules without gloves for Montgomery, it feels like there is a film on my skin and its sooooo itchy. I find it hard to wash it off, too. Dish soap seems to work best. I just buy bulk bags of latex gloves from the grocery store.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

patty_on

Post by patty_on » 14 Feb 2024, 18:42

Okay, I'll try the gloves! Thanks so much.

(PS Montgomery is so cute!!!!)

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 14 Feb 2024, 19:13

With any fine powder that is mixed with water, they go through a hydration process. It's basically where the powder and water mix on a molecular level. It is most common in my life in concrete, when the cement and water mix. I have never heard of any long term effects from any of it as long as basic maintenance is done. Washing your hands afterwards, lotion if needed. Rubbing alcohol will help get any of it off, if nothing else works. Gloves are probably the easiest and most cost effective way though. Either disposable or dishwashing gloves will provide enough protection.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Feb 2024, 19:36

YES!!!!! Some people are very sensitive to the enzymes. We had one lady years ago, who had trouble breathing when doling out the enzymes in her dog's food dish... she was hyper-sensitive to the enzymes.... anyway.... she sent us a picture of herself wearing a gas mask while preparing her dog's food.... made us all laugh.... but seriously,,, she really did have to wear a little msk so that she didn't breathe them in cause they irritated her. And yes.... they can also irritate the skin on on your hands if you are sensitive.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

patty_on

Post by patty_on » 15 Feb 2024, 09:24

Great success with a nitrile glove this morning. No teeth punctures and my hands felt so much better.

Thank you all for your advice and taking time for a trivial question! :) :)

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Feb 2024, 21:06

no question is trivial..... glad V's suggestion of the gloves helped !
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........