EPI senior dog, struggling to get back dialed in

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Carly33
State: California
Pet name: Sprocket
My name: Carly

EPI senior dog, struggling to get back dialed in

Post by Carly33 » 15 Feb 2024, 09:45

Hello All,
I have a 19 year old Jack Russell Terrier who was diagnosed with EPI about 5 years ago. I use PanaKare Plus ground up tablets on her food, 1/2 of a tablet with 1/2 cup of food and she has done well with that for years. About 3 months ago she started having these days where she would wake up wanting to eat grass, eventually vomit bile, (I will give her a Cerenia) but she will not eat or drinking anything all day and then eventually eat and drink in the night. My vet recommended upping her PanaKare dose to the 3/4 tablet and that seemed to help for about a week but now we are back to not feeling well. I should also mention she has been on 10 mg of omeprazole for about a month now, I’ve also tried Tums if she seems to be lip smacking frequently, which she often is. Her poops are good. She eats 1/4 cup Taste of the Wild grain free kibble and 1/4 cup chicken breast or Primal bites (she’s a finicky eater and it only motivated to eat new things). Appreciate any suggestions folks may have for alternative ways to help her.

Eddiespaghetti
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Re: EPI senior dog, struggling to get back dialed in

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 15 Feb 2024, 20:15

Hello,
19 years old. Hell yeah.
Sometimes, even though it's always worked, you might need to adjust the enzymes as your vet recommended. You might have to go up to a whole tablet. If 3/4th does work, other then the morning throw up. You can probably keep it there.
Instead of or in junction with the Omeprazole, you can try Slippery elm or famotidine. Omeprazole reduces how much acid is produced while SE and pepcid coat the stomach. I am unsure what is exactly causing the bile, but one or all of these should help. Another thing to try is possible, is feed a meal right before bed. It might help keep the stomach full, so they don't throw up bile. Either try to split the normal amount into thirds or just give some extra before bed.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Feb 2024, 21:04

hi Carly

WOW!!! You are certainly an excellent care-giver with Sprocket at 19 years old... wow Wow WOW!!!

SO... yes, i too agree with Jeremy and your vet.... it sounds like more enzymes were needed and what you are now describing sure sounds like SID/SIBO/Dysbiosis out of control..... which makes sense cause if little Sprocket is licking his lips, that often is a sign of an upset tummy and an upset tummy in an EPI dog is usually out of control SID.... and if Sprocket was not getting enough enzymes for a little while, that in turn can trigger SDI to get out of control..

We see this happen in a lot of dogs after about 4 years on the enzymes.... they were doing great and all of sudden things aren't going as well as they used to and it usually means the enzymes simply need to upped. ... but in the meantime, because of the unbeknownst under dosing of the enzymes, SID got out of control..... so now that needs to be fixed too.

Typically we suggest a prebiotic (like slippery elm, a tsp of pumpkin or something) and if that fails, then try a prebiotic and probiotic..... and if that fails, then we suggest a course of Tylan twice a day/45 days) . However based on sprocket's age, not sure if you want to go the long route of pre+probiotic or should you just do the Tylan.... Please share this with your vet and ask him/her what they think would be the best course to try Sprocket's out of control SID.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Carly33

Post by Carly33 » 16 Feb 2024, 09:33

Thank you both for the reply, this is incredibly helpful and I will share your ideas with my vet. Sounds like the Slippery Elm would be a good next step.
In gratitude,
Carly

Carly33

Post by Carly33 » 16 Feb 2024, 11:06

Hi,
One more question - how long do you give a new enzyme quantity before deciding to change that or finding other solutions?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Feb 2024, 13:14

i would give it a week to see if this makes things better/worse/or no change at all...
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Carly33

Post by Carly33 » 16 Feb 2024, 14:03

Great. Thank you again!🙏🏽

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Feb 2024, 14:53

hi Carly,

You are very welcome and good luck :)