Best Dog Food Suggestions that work For EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Greyden
State: Idaho
Pet name: Dot
My name: Greyden

Re: Best Dog Food Suggestions that work For EPI

Post by Greyden » 29 Feb 2024, 13:32

Hi Bonnie,
We use Hill's sensitive skin and stomach. Don't believe it meets your fiber or price requirements but Dot (epi) does very well on it. Our Great Pyrenees/Lab mix does great on it as well. We supplement Dot's kibble with Royal Canin Gastrointestinal low fat.
This is not an inexpensive diet.
We are going to try to wean her off the can food and go to one of the homemade foods but Dot isn't stable enough yet.
Sorry I can't help you with a less expensive option.
Our 3rd dog is on TOTW High Prairie and is fine on it. We were hoping it would work for all because it saves about 20$/bag. Alas, no such luck with Dot (epi) or Bob (big dog).
Dot is our day blind 3 1/2 year old half Idaho Shag half Australian Cattle Dog. She was diagnosed with EPI in late January 2024. We continue to try to figure out her best protocol.....

Bonnie's
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Odin
My name: Bonnie

Post by Bonnie's » 29 Feb 2024, 15:08

Thank you for your reply Greyden, I so appreciate all feedback from other EPI parents. I'm glad you've found what works for your crew. I'll keep researching and hoping to find something that works.

Regina B
State: Texas
Pet name: Niko

Post by Regina B » 29 Feb 2024, 16:23

My Niko has done well with the Victor High Pro Plus. It's a little pricey, but Pet Supplies Plus usually has good deals on it

Bonnie's

Post by Bonnie's » 29 Feb 2024, 16:58

Finally a dog food without peas or beans. Thank you Regina, I'll look into it, just need to make sure the fiber count is 3% or lower now.

Dan_L
State: Florida
Pet name: Jaxson
My name: Dan

Post by Dan_L » 01 Mar 2024, 07:42

Regina B wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 16:23 My Niko has done well with the Victor High Pro Plus. It's a little pricey, but Pet Supplies Plus usually has good deals on it
I’m also evaluating dry dog food options so I wanted to learn more about this one. I found information on the FDA website you may want to review just in case. The link to the information is:

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/o ... d%20online.

Bonnie's

Post by Bonnie's » 01 Mar 2024, 08:16

Thanks Dan, that explains why so many complaints of illness on Consumer Reports I guess.

Dan_L
State: Florida
Pet name: Jaxson
My name: Dan

Post by Dan_L » 01 Mar 2024, 08:23

Bonnie's wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 08:16 Thanks Dan, that explains why so many complaints of illness on Consumer Reports I guess.
You are very welcome Bonnie. I think this is possibly why more and more people are turning to making food for their cats and dogs at home. You stand a better chance of controlling and knowing exactly what they are being fed.

Edited to add…

I’m not trying to dissuade anyone from a particular brand, instead I’m only saying to do the research before you switch brands or types of food. Myself I’m regularly looking to see if there are any recalls or reported issues with the food I give my two boys. As one of our former Presidents once said “Trust but verify”. Especially when it comes to the safety of our family members, both two and four legged.