Niko upset tummy - vet visit scheduled

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Regina B
State: Texas
Pet name: Niko

Niko upset tummy - vet visit scheduled

Post by Regina B » 28 Feb 2024, 11:02

Good Morning All,

Niko threw up yesterday morning his dinner from the night before, but ate his breakfast as usual and was fine all day yesterday. He ate last night as normal, but threw up again about 30 mins after eating, then vomited several times all night until it was just clear this morning. I can tell he's not feeling well. Very early this morning, he pottied and it looked firm. He has not had another bowel movement since, but also has not been given any food.

He was diagnosed a little over a year ago and has been doing so well!! This is the first time he's had any tummy issues since regaining his weight. I have noticed tummy gurgles over the last few days and some gas, but it is not smelly.

I do have a vet appt this afternoon in about 4 hours. Any ideas what else I may be forgetting to tell the vet? Any suggestions from the "pros?"

Thanks so much. I'm just worried about my baby boy!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Niko upset tummy - vet visit scheduled

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Feb 2024, 11:19

jFirst, thanks for making an appt to bring him to the vets this afternoon... just in case something other than the two thing i am going to mention might be going on. ....

1. With an EPI dog, this could very well be SID/SIBO/Dysbiosis getting out of control (and there can be SOOooo many reasons) but it often starts with not feeling well, puking, regurg, etc... and then in a few days, the poos start getting sloppy.... OR.... the opposite can happen, first the poos go sloppy and then the upset tummy happens..... with EPI dogs, you never know which symptom will come first with the onset of out-of control SID.

2. THis could be nothing more than a touch of some kind of bacteria triggered tummy upset.

If your vet determines nothing else is going on and it most likely is EPI.... and if you/and or the vet wants to prescribe anti's... make sure it is Tylan.
For possible underlying cause, what could be happening is that the diet formula change and doesn't agree with him now, he got into something, he reached a point where he needs a pinch more enzymes with all meals, or there is some ingredient in the diet that has not been optimal and has slowly accumulated in upsetting the gut flora........

If your vet wants to prescribe pre+probiotics... try slipper elm powder first, if that doesn't accomplish anything, then talk to your vet about trying a per/probiotic... some options are: Proviable, Visbiome, Mercola COmplete Probiotics, Vetri-Science Mega Probiotics, or others............

Good luck at the vet and let us know how the visit goes!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Feb 2024, 11:21

Hi Regina, it sounds like maybe a case of SID. Do you have any Slippery elm on hand? I would give the proper dose via chart in the link twice a day.

https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

I don't see any previous posts under your name. Will you give us some information on Niko like food, enzymes, other meds and test results for cTli, B12 tests?
Thanks so much.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Regina B

Post by Regina B » 28 Feb 2024, 11:41

Sorry I previously asked questions via the Facebook page. I don't have Niko's numbers close by. He's been on a diet of Victor High Protein mixed 1.5 cups 2x day with blueberries (now and then) and roasted diced sweet potatoes and about 6oz of cooked chicken breast in the evening meal.

We use pancreazyme tablets 1 1/2 tablets per meal, and he gets the wonderlabs B12 and a packet of the Purina Fortiflora prescribed by my vet, every other day with his evening meal I also usually cover the evening meal with homemade bone broth.

I did notice yesterday morning's vomit was undigested as was last night's, it just happened much quicker.

I do not have any slippery elm and I've not heard of the Tylan until perusing the forum pages today.

In reading many posts, it appears he may need to be adjusted on the enzymes and we might need a stronger pre/probiotic and maybe should switch out the sweet potatoes with pureed pumpkin

His diet hasn't been an issue until 2 days ago which is why I'm alarmed as this is our first issue since he's been doing so well for the last year. I've been loathe to change anything because everything seemed to be working so well.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 28 Feb 2024, 13:03

Everyone else has you covered. I just wanted to pop by and say, try not to give metronidazole. That is the first thing my vet usually tries to do with any throwing up or diarrhea. Metronidazole is not recommended for EPI.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Feb 2024, 18:46

just wondering how Niko's vet visit went....................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Regina B

Post by Regina B » 29 Feb 2024, 12:09

Olesia711 wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 18:46 just wondering how Niko's vet visit went....................
He had no fever and a fecal test came back negative. Doc gave him an anti-nausea med we used last year and some powder to keep him from eating poo (which he's tried to do again the past few weeks). He ate well last night (I did not give him sweet potatoes) with no issues and the same again this am. Stool was still firm this morning as well. Fingers crossed this was just a slight "oops" and I am truly starting to believe it was something in this round of sweet potatoes.

I did order the Wonder Labs slippery elm and will begin to introduce that. Doc also had me go back to a daily packet of the Fortiflora Synbiotic instead of every other day as we have been doing. I'll be watching over the weekend and if everything is still going well, we'll consider the incident over :)

Niko is back to himself as he wanted to play with his stuffies last night and has already brought me his Monkey into the office to play this morning.

Thanks for asking about my boy!!! I do love this group!!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Mar 2024, 13:18

glad to hear that Niko is back to being himself...... it does sound like it was just an off day or an "oops" ... but good advice by the vet to go back to daily with the probiotics. see if that helps.

The SLippery Elm is more of a prebiotic and we "think" it also may help protect the intestines from bad metabolites getting thru all the little tiny perforations that SID creates......

Some people use Slippery ELM on an as needed basis,
Others use a maintenance dose on a daily basis.....

You will just have to try and see which method best benefits Niko :)

alicebobby
Pet name: mia
My name: Alice

Post by alicebobby » 11 Mar 2024, 00:26

You're covered by everyone else. I wanted to stop by and advise against giving metronidazole. When my vet sees cases of vomiting or diarrhea, that is usually the first thing they try to do. It is not advised to use metronidazole with EPI.  buildnow gg