Looking for a Treat Recipe

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Looking for a Treat Recipe

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 09 Mar 2024, 20:19

Hi friends, it's been awhile.

Since I lost Tucker last November, my sweet Tuckaboo, I've been pretty much absent. And sad. BUT, now there's Nina.

Nina, a 5-year-old GSD with EPI, will be coming to join our family in early April. Adjusting to our home will be pretty intense, I'm sure. We have four other dogs, and in addition to being left behind by a family she loves & meeting our dogs and us, she will also have to adjust to FL temperatures vs those in NJ. It's going to be a lot for her. I have a dog trainer friend to consult with, so I have already had lots of sound advice, but yummy treats are always part of the plan, to make positive connections.

SO, do any of you wonderful EPI moms & dads have any advice for giving treats? Are there any prepared treats available to buy, or does anyone have a recipe I could have? I always cheated with Tucker, but with all the stress Nina will be going through, I will want to be extra careful with her diet. Her current owner doesn't give her treats, but if I can work some enzymes into them, I think they'll be worth it.

Thanks!!! --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Looking for a Treat Recipe

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Mar 2024, 23:02

Hi Pam... so sorry for the delayed response... but for some reason i am having trouble responding on the forum tonight.... it spins forever and is almost painful to post !!!

ANyway... yes, we do have a treat section.... check it out .... the most recent one i like is to make your own treat and cover with an enzyme icing!
https://epi4dogs.com/treats/
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 10 Mar 2024, 08:28

Thanks Olesia!

I was having the same issue with response time, so I only made a few searches. This morning, everything is lightning fast, so I'll go read that now! ---P

Editing & adding one question----The sweet potato curls listed last on the page. I don't see enzymes added to them. Is this correct, or am I skimming over them too fast?

I think the enzyme icing is brilliant, too.
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Mar 2024, 10:58

Hi Pam! Thanks for adopting another Epi pup. I am sure Nina will fit into your pack quickly💕

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Mar 2024, 12:00

Hi Pam,

Thanks so much for letting me know that you too were have super slow issues with the forum yesterday too!... and SOOooooo glad that today everything is super fast. I spoke to our web master last night and he made changes... glad that the changes worked beautifully :)

Okay. those sweet potato peels... that's from me... i would take a raw sweet potato and after peeling off the skin, i would just continue to peel the entire potato and then i dehydrated the peels. And "No" i did not include enzymes with these potato peels... However... all my dogs, including Izzy my EPI gal, only got a few pieces as a treat....so it wasn't much. BUT.... that being said, my Izzy was also able to have a tiny amount of certain "snacks" without enzymes included and she was fine.

NOt all EPI dogs can "cheat" with a tiny treat.... but once things settle with Nina you should try giving her a non-enzymed treat within 1 hr after an enzymed meal and see how she does. If all goes well.... then try giving a tiny treat 2 hrs or so away from an enzymed meal.... and just see how things go.

For example... when i was training Izzy tracking in Schutzhund we had to place a tret in each foot step... WELL... by testing and proofing things... i was able to put 1 piece of grain free kibble in 10 steps (not enzymes) .... but that was Izzy's limit... if i gave more, her stools would become loose. Each dog is different and you will simply have to "try" things a little at a time.....

BTW... i too LOVE the enzyme frosting!!!!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 10 Mar 2024, 13:01

Thanks for the details, Olesia.

Jill, I am so excited about Nina. Every time I have seen an EPI dog that needed rehoming, I've wondered how on earth that could be accomplished.

Well, now I know. Read a story about a family that really needs help, casually respond that you're in FL, and you wish it could happen but it would be impossible. Talk on the phone & make a connection, and hopefully you'll be speaking to a family that loves their dog so much, they schedule a spring break vacation around bringing her to you!

I sure hope she likes our pack. My big girl hound is pretty laid back, and she loves to play, so fingers crossed. Thanks for the encouragement!

--- P

Rockymountainmama
State: New Mexico
Pet name: Chekhov

Post by Rockymountainmama » 12 Mar 2024, 12:18

Hi Pam,
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

I thought I would chime in on the treat discussion, as we raised a high-drive German Shepherd from 9 weeks who is now 3 years old. Our method is:

1) Always do training sessions adjacent to meals (that contain the appropriate dose of enzyme)
2) Use tiny melt-in-your-mouth treats

Our pup is allergic to poultry so we found that these tiny dehydrated rabbit treats worked well!

https://www.chewy.com/vital-essentials- ... /dp/846230
On 6/14/2022: TLI 2.9, Cobalamin 165, Folate 7.2. Weight went from 71 to 63 in 2 weeks.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 12 Mar 2024, 15:45

Thanks so much for the ideas! The advice to introduce them close to a meal is a great plan. --- Pam