Enzyme Diane still the best price/quality?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mtndoggracie
State: Colorado
Pet name: Gracie
My name: Olivia

Enzyme Diane still the best price/quality?

Post by mtndoggracie » 26 Mar 2024, 13:01

Hi all,

We are three years into our EPI journey with our dog Gracie and have very few exciting updates—no news is good news with an EPI dog!

I've just purchased another kilo of enzymes from Enzyme Diane and couldn't help but notice that they have increased by another $40 from when I purchased them at the end of 2023. This increase has been happening consistently for the past year or two, and like all of the other price increases, it really adds up. I'm looking to the hive mind to see if Enzyme Diane is still the gold standard for pancreatic enzymes for EPI dogs as far as price and quality go. Has anyone found another, less expensive, comparable solution? We are currently budgeting almost $2000 a year for enzymes :cry:

Thanks y'all!
Olivia and Gracie

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Re: Enzyme Diane still the best price/quality?

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 26 Mar 2024, 14:06

Price- No enzyme Diane is the most expensive out of the ones I have tried. You can probably find cheaper elsewhere.
Quality - quality and consistency enzyme Diane is top notch. Out of the ones I have tried, it works the best, mixes well, and my dogs doesn't mind it.
To save money, some ideas I have, switch to the 8x if you haven't yet. You will hopefully use less and is slightly move cost effective. Buy in bulk, it seems like you go through a kilo every three months? Buy 4 kilos? Once again you won't save a bunch, but will save some. Enzyme Diane does say it will last 15 months at the minimum, but most likely two years.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Mar 2024, 15:52

Olivia,

Here is a thought that i am going to throw out there.....as this came up in conversation with another EPI forum member.

REcently we have found that dogs that refuse to take powdered enzymes appear to do just fine with Enzyme Diane's 6x powdered enzymes poured into enteric coated empty gel caps. We did the calculations and two 00 size enteric coated gel caps (filled 3/4 of the way)
https://www.amazon.com/XPRS-Nutra-Size- ... 107&sr=8-5
appears to have the same potency needed to digest 1 cup of food as one tsp of 6x powdered enzymes. In essence you can use less enzymes because the enteric coating of the gel cap protects the powdered enzymes from having 70% of it destroyed by pH going down the digestive track.... so you use less enzymes. I have no idea how much this would save you.... since you would have to add in the cost of enteric coated gel caps..... BUT... this might be something to try, still stay with EnzymeDiane's 6x and calculate if it saves you money.....

Pam, who recently lost Tucker but has adopted another EPI dog is going to try this.... to see if this saves her money.... so just passing on this possible cost-saving trick.....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 26 Mar 2024, 19:55

I've been putting Montgomery's enzymes into gelatine capsules for years. I give him his capsules with plenty of water and then immediately feed him. We did this to stop the mouth ulcers he was experiencing. He's thriving, and we don't waste enzymes.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Mar 2024, 20:11

thanks V :) for sharing this with us..... it does work... we now need to figure out if using enteric coated capsules can save us even more money :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Beatrice
Pet name: Sushi
My name: Beatrice

Post by Beatrice » 11 Apr 2024, 12:23

Olesia711 wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 20:11 thanks V :) for sharing this with us..... it does work... we now need to figure out if using enteric coated capsules can save us even more money :)
It does save money on enzymes. 1 kilo used to last me 4 months using the incubation method. Now 1 kilo lasts me from 6 to 8 months. But the cost of capsules and most important, time to prepare the capsules may outweigh the savings in enzymes. For me, the convenience of no incubation period (especially on the road) and no stinky muzzle are just worth the hassles.
TLI 3.1
1 Pet Factor B12, 1 small scoop of aventi GI complete pre/probiotic, 1/4 teaspoon slippery elm
Enzyme Diane 8X in HPMC delayed release capsule (1 full capsule + 1/2 capsule for each meal)
Nutrience Grain-Free Subzero Prairie Red (up to 2 cups if no other meat given)
AM 1/2 cup of kibble, plain yogourt with 1/2 banana or sweet potato
Noon 1/2 cup of cooked meat + boiled egg
3:30pm 1/2 cup cooked meat + boiled egg
6pm 3/4 cup of cooked meat
9pm 1/2 cup of kibble
apple, peanut butter snacks with enzyme capsule

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Apr 2024, 14:18

Thanks for telling us what is working for you! It is great to share information on here for others to learn from.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Apr 2024, 14:21

thanks Beatrice... sharing your "savings" experience using enteric coated gel caps with EnzymeDiane's enzymes is VERY helpful!!!!!

I just tried measuring and if my calculations are correct:
if two "00" enteric coated capsules are filled 3/4 of the way (equaling the effectiveness of 1 tsp of powdered enzymes) you will still have 5/8 tsp (1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp) left over enzymes from that 1 tsp of enzymes!!!

So by using enteric coated gel caps for the proper powdered porcine enzyme you use a pinch less than 1/2 the amount of enzymes you normally would.

Of course, you still have to figure in the cost of the enteric coated gel caps which appears to range from $22 to $36 for 1,000 enteric coated capsules.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Apr 2024, 19:51

To be clear---How many 00 enteric coated capsules filled 3/4 of the way, have the same effect as one teaspoon of 6X enzymes? In other words, with two cups of food, do I give two capsules, or four? I am just now getting to this, with Nina being here for just a week and a half. She's doing great, BTW, though the issues with the smaller dogs from our Tucker days are repeating themselves with Nina. I wonder if it's the shepherd in the big dogs, or are the little guys just. that. annoying.?

This idea is brilliant, and whoever came up with it is a genius. I am full on counting on this to work for Nina. Filling a few capsules a day is bound to be easier than mixing, pouring, asking Alexa to remind me, hoping I hear her when she does...

I also have to say Diane is awesome, and I wonder about any food source that is NOT going up in price, with everything else. Things will probably get even worse, if the bird flu really does start infecting more mammals. ---P
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Apr 2024, 22:54

Pam.... two "00" enteric coated capsules filled 3/4 of the way, have the same effect as one teaspoon of 6X enzymes.....

so it depends on how much you feed as to how many filled enteric capsules you need to prepare....
If/when you do try this... PLEASE let us know if it works for Nina .

Also... i now have a page on it:
https://epi4dogs.com/cost-savings-enzyme-tip/