Peeing ALOT

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Re: Peeing ALOT

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 16 Nov 2018, 14:07

I wouldnt restrict the water it will subside and i am sorry that you are going through this ...i had it happen to me Maddie couldnt hold through the night but it did get better.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

K.vitanova
Pet name: Nora

Post by K.vitanova » 16 Nov 2018, 14:16

Thank you for the support!

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 16 Nov 2018, 15:03

To Bruno's mom and Nora's mom,

It is good that both sides of this question came up at the same time so others can benefit. We often see excessive thirst and peeing in dogs recently diagnosed and recently taking the enzymes. Our Kolby began peeing almost uncontrollably when he was first diagnosed and started the enzymes. He even started peeing in the house and he had been trained for almost a year. I remember going outside for a few minutes and he was waiting for me at the door. There was so much liquid in the entry way that I thought we had a flood! I was shocked to realize it was his. After several months, it subsided.......he is 9 and 1/2 now and has never had an issue since. But as Olesia said, keep a record and if it continues beyond several months, have her checked by your vet.

Since Bruno was diagnosed and began enzymes more than a year ago, the enzymes would most likely not be the problem. Having him checked by your vet would probably be best to see what is going on.

Please let us know how both of your pups are doing. And please ask any questions that you have. It is a lot of information you are trying to process while you worry about your pup. Hang in there.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Nov 2018, 19:43

Some people will limit water before their pup goes to bed..... so my thought is that "maybe" it is okay to limit the water before you go to work but just as long as you allow her to drink as much water as she needs when you come home from work and into the evening. However....i would not just go on my post here- -i might be giving a bad suggestion..... so.... please call your vet and double check that this is indeed okay to do. ..... or not..............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

K.vitanova

Post by K.vitanova » 03 Dec 2018, 05:33

Hey, it’s me again :). It has been a month and Nora is still not getting better. She pees a lot, all over the house even, she wakes me up during the night wanting to go for a walk. I am wandering if a homemade meal will be better for her. Our vet knows absolutely nothing about EPI. I called her told her about the urination and she said that it has nothing to do with the enzymes. When I told her that there are other EPI dogs with the same problem she said - well, okay. And that was it. Do you have any suggestions how to make Nora’s condition better? Also Nora is stable 19.5 kilos now, and was 23 before EPI. She has not gained any weight yet. I asked our vet for B12 and she said that we don’t need a test, and that this weight loss is not problematic

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 03 Dec 2018, 07:47

maybe the vet could take a urine sample test

has Nora been spayed recently ?

it sounds maybe like irritation, but you need to rule out crystals in the urine, My last dog had this and he had no control over peeing until it was dealt with

poor baby

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Dec 2018, 10:22

Thanks Jean. I was just going to ask if you had taken her in for the urine sample to rule out crystals or infection?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

K.vitanova

Post by K.vitanova » 03 Dec 2018, 11:04

Nora is really very scared of going to the vet, many people said that their dogs had the same problem when they first started the enzymes so I was waiting to see if it will pass. Maybe I should give her more time to get used to the medication. I just don’t know if enough time has passed already

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 03 Dec 2018, 12:38

When we went through this with Kolby, it did last a few months. But to ease your mind, you might want to have her urine checked so you can eliminate the worry if it comes back negative.

When you had Nora's TLI test done, was a B12 (cobalamin) level also done? They are often done at the same time. Many dogs have low B12 levels when they are first diagnosed and this has a big impact on how well they stabilize. Kolby did not gain weight until we got his B12 levels up.

Barb

K.vitanova

Post by K.vitanova » 03 Dec 2018, 16:36

Nora has not been tested for B12 and afterwards I asked the vet for the test and she said that there was no point of doing it.