Peeing ALOT

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Peeing ALOT

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Dec 2018, 18:41

Over 82% of all dogs with EPI have insufficient B12 levels... and even the EPI dogs, if their B12 is normal when they are initially diagnosed... they too will eventually need B12 supplementation. Once an EPI dog needs B12, they will need it for life- -the only difference is that once you bring the levels up... then you can give a smaller dose / frequency of B12 jsut to maintain the upper mid-range B12 levels.

Since you are in Bulgaria.... can you import products from the UK? If yes, i would go online and order these special B12 pills (made with Methycobalamin B12, Folate and Intrinsic Factor)
https://www.chemeyes.co.uk/product/chem ... -100-caps/
... and i would start giving these to Nora daily. At Nora's weight, open one of these 1000mcg B12 capsules... and give Nora 1/2 capsule daily mixed in with her food.

I think you should be able to get these pill shippedd to Bulgaria, but just in case you cannot, please let us know and we will try to work out something else for you..

And yes..... with an EPI dog, we now know that they can and should gain back "most" or all of their weight once you find the right balance of EPI protocol. As others have mentioned, there is a good possibility that the weight will not be fully gained back until you start giving B12. My guess is that Nora's B12 levels are not upper mid-range ... where they need to be with an EPI dog.

Regarding the continued peeing.... is it the same or getting a little worse???
Can you ask your vet to test for a UTI (urinary tract infection)... as a UTI could be what is going on and need treatment with antibiotics.... or.... it can still be the enzymes.... and you just have to wait a little longer for it to go away..... but.... i would hate to assume it is "EPI -related" and then find out that Nora has a UTI that should have been treated all along.......................

Also......although i do not know if this is the same in dogs..... but i just doubled checked and if a person has low B12 it can make them pee excessively..... so.... not sure, but if the same can happen in a dog, then that may be another reason why Nora is having excessive peeing ....... since most EPI dogs have insufficient B12 and Nora has not been treated for it.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

K.vitanova
Pet name: Nora

Post by K.vitanova » 04 Dec 2018, 02:09

I am going to another vet tomorrow. Hopefully he knows more about EPI and wants to do the test So I have a better understanding of her condition. We will do a test for UTI and I will insist of doing B12 as well

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 04 Dec 2018, 08:20

its a shame when you have to this, but if needs must

write down everything so you dont forget

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Dec 2018, 11:07

Glad you are going to another vet.

It doesn't matter if a vet knows a lot of EPI or not.... BUT.... what is very important is that you have a vet that will work with you and LISTEN to what you have to say and one that will share their medical knowledge with you .... someone who you can show the actual and current EPI veterinarian research that we have on our website so that he /she can make better and more informed decisions about how to "try" treating your EPI dog.

THe problem with EPI is that yes there are some standard protocols.... BUT....each dog is a little different, so many times what happens is that one part or another part of the standard protocol has to be tweaked/adjusted to better suit an individual EPI dog before you see optimal response to treatment..... and THIS is where some vets fail..... often because they just don't have the time to spend on every little thing with an EPI dog.

This is also another reason why it is very helpful to keep an EPI log so that you can show it to your vet and both you and your vet can work thru what the next step should be, what might need adjusting or trying.... so that the dog can get optimally better.

Again, glad you are going to try another vet. please keep us posted.

Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Dec 2018, 13:52

I just heard back from Cameron at Chemeyes, LLC regarding sending their B12 capsules (with Methylcobalamin B12, Folate & Intrinsic Factor) to Bulgaria,.... and he said YES!!!! They do ship to Bulgaria and that they actually have some clients there

This is good news for Nora and you :)

If you want, just contact Cameron directly and tell him that you are the Epi4Dogs client in Bulgaria that i wrote about :)

This is Cameron's email address: sales@chemeyes.co.uk

here is the B12 on their website :
https://www.chemeyes.co.uk/product/chem ... -100-caps/

K.vitanova

Post by K.vitanova » 04 Dec 2018, 14:16

Thanks a lot! We are going to test her B12 on Thursday with the new vet. Today we got the results from the urine test and everything is fine - no UTI, no renal problems. I am so glad to finally hear some good news

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Dec 2018, 14:44

that is great news on all the other tests, especially no renal issues.... that always concerns me, at least with a UTI that can be fixed via antibiotics. But good that she doesn't have either problem.

Just a FYI... since you gave B12 pills Sunday.... you should wait 1 week before B12 testing (give no more pill a week before you test the B12)

Also... when was the last time she had a B12 shot.... as you are supposed to wait 4 weeks after last B12 shot before testing the B12

If you test before... then the results will be higher than what they actually are.

Glad you are seeing a new vet :)

Please be sure to share everything we suggest to you with the new vet .

K.vitanova

Post by K.vitanova » 04 Dec 2018, 16:54

I haven’t given her any B12 ever because our old vet said she didn’t need it without even testing her. That is our first B12 test. Do you know if we have to do the test before breakfast?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Dec 2018, 17:14

Oh... okay... my misunderstanding...

The is very good news because now you can test Thursday. :)

I know you are supposed to "food" fast when the blood is being drawn for the TLI (EPI) test.... and we typically recommend that they draw enough blood at the same time to test the B12................ so.... just to be on the safe side..... yes.... i would not feed breakfast and just give a meal after the B12 blood test.