Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
LMawhinney

Post by LMawhinney » 02 Jan 2019, 12:46

Hi Everyone,
My 2 year old border collie was just diagnosed with EPI and B12 deficiency. It has been very overwhelming and I am so worried about him. I am so thankful for this website and all of you. It gives comfort knowing we are not alone. Rexx has not pooped since yesterday morning. Is this normal?

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: New Member

Post by Jean » 02 Jan 2019, 13:20

huge welcome from the UK

Its totally overwhelming, but after a while it becomes normal

My Kara was diagnosed at 14 months ild in 2010

I wonder, can you give us a background

so, what were the results of the tests taken ?

what food are you feeding ? how often, and how much ?

what enzymes ? and how much per feed ?

were antibiotics discussed

what is the vet doing about b12 deficiency ?

we recommend giving 150% of the food recommendation for the weight the dog SHOULD be

the biggie is keep a diary/journal, record everything

so sorry for the questions, but it will help us to help you

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Jan 2019, 15:30

Beautiful Border Collie !!!!!!!!!!!!! and Happy New Year.... i know EPI probably does not sound like a happy thing to start the New Year off with.... but you now have a huge support system ... the Epi4Dogs family!

Just to share.... when my gal was first diagnosed with EPI at 1+1/2 years old.... i was in shock and walked around numb for a week..This was supposed to be my stock dog for working dogs for border patrol. And she had some condition that i never heard of, sounded devastating and supposedly GSDs got, not Spanish Water Dogs.

Well... that was over 12 years ago.... My Izzy is still with us and just as funny and loving as always and almost as energetic as she used to be when much younger.... she is now 13+1/2 years old. I cannot begin to tell you, once we found the right balance of EPI treatment, how many diets we had to put her on- -and this is from a dog when first diagnosed with EPI lost almost half her weight, became feral-like she was so hungry and the vet said she would not have lasted 1 more month if we didn't figure out what was wrong with her.

And here is a little secret..... not all, but many, many EPI dogs, once they start healing become that extra special once-in-a-lifetime "heart" dog....

So please know.... that EPI is very manageable once yo find the right balance of the recommended treatment for your dog. As very often something in the protocol needs to be tweaked a little to best suit each individual EPI dog.... and THAT is what we at Epi4Dogs does best... guide you step-by-step when something needs a little adjusting so that your dog optimally responds to the recommended EPI treatment. :)

The not pooping for a day.... don't worry about it yet.... we have seen this happen sometimes..... if no poop in 2 days.... THEN talk to the vet. First thing though is to make sure your dog is drinking plenty of water.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Fiona
Staff
Pet name: Dexter

Post by Fiona » 03 Jan 2019, 07:33

Hello and welcome

As Jean and Olesia said above, although EPI seems overwhelming at first, once you find the right balance for your dog, it soon becomes routine. Most EPI dogs go on to lead normal active lives.

If you could please answer Jean's questions, we will be able to provide the right advice and support.

If you haven't already done so have a look at the https://epi4dogs.com/epi-quick-guide-usa/ it explains the 4 cornerstones of managing EPI

Fiona
Dexter was dianosed in October 2012 at 20 months old weighing just 14kg. Dexter was difficult to stabilise but has now been stable for 5 years, and now weighs a stable 20kg
Diet Millies Wolfheart - Gundog recipe (185g twice daily)
Slippery Elm 1tsp with breakfast
Tylan twice daily
B12 injections monthly

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 03 Jan 2019, 09:14

A warm welcome to you and your pup. We know this is an overwhelming time for you....we have all been where you are. Fortunately, there are many knowledgeable and generous people here who are willing to help. Balancing the four cornerstones of treatment for EPI ......Food, Enzyymes, B12, and Antibiotics (if needed) is the challenge. Keeping a daily log of everything you give Rexx, the amounts, and the resulting poos will help you achieve that balance.

As others have said, each of our dogs had to go through this balancing act in their own way. Our German Shepherd, Kolby, was just a year old when he was diagnosed and was down to 54 pounds. He is now 9 and 1/2 and has been at his target weight of 85 pounds for many years. In fact, the last 3 times he was weighed he bordered on 87 pounds and was being considered for membership in the "Chunky Monkey" club. So hang in there. It will get better and the protocol for treatment will seem easy.

If you can answer some of Jean's questions, it will help us to help you. And if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 03 Jan 2019, 20:49

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. Your pup is absolutely adorable. My non-EPI dog is a lab/border collie mix (we think ;) ). I won't muddy the water with more advice as you've been given great advice so far. I will, however, highly recommend keeping a detailed log of everything you give and everything that comes out and even take pictures. This will help you figure out what works and what doesn't. EPI can be overwhelming and frustrating at times, but it's manageable and the bond these dogs have with their owners is usually stronger than most.

Please know that we are here to help guide you along the way so you are not alone.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

LMawhinney

Post by LMawhinney » 05 Jan 2019, 13:18

Hi everyone. Thank you for your responses and questions. I really don't understand much about the results of my dogs bloodwork, so I have attached his results. My vet is nice but basically told me I need to take a "step back", when I called concerned about Rexx not pooping and trying to ask her questions about his condition. She stated she is following the clinical protocol and he will be fine.
I have just started to log everyday based on your suggestions. :)
Rexx Bloodwork Results.jpg
Rexx Bloodwork Results.jpg (930.69 KiB) Viewed 5695 times
Rexx - Started B12 injections last week and will receive one weekly for the next 7 weeks. - He was given Metronidadole (250mg) 20 tablets( one every 12 hours) - Rexx was placed on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Energy dog food just this week (They gave me the wrong food at first) He eats 1 1/2 cups of food twice a day. I add Pank-Aid enzyme powder 1 1/2 teaspoons to every meal. Rexx is not ravished like he was but he still seems hungry to me and a little bit sad at times. Do you any of your dogs go to daycare? Does that have any affect on their EPI? Rexx goes back next week after being on Christmas break.

I wish you could meet my Rexx, he loves everyone! He loves to kiss and give hugs. I wish Kara, Izzy, and all of your fur babies good health! I hope Rexx one day joins the "Chunky Monkey" category with Kolby!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 05 Jan 2019, 14:33

hi

well its definitely EPI

the cobalamin is low, and needs supplementation

has the vet suggested b12 injections, if not can I ask you to ask for them

I wouldnt be happy at "step back" you need support

so write it all down and make an appointment, you can print anything off this website, and share

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 05 Jan 2019, 15:34

Hi and thanks for posting. His B12 will rise now that you have started the shots. Good for starting a journal, it really helps to note things.The folate looks good. Keep up the good work.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 06 Jan 2019, 13:28

So glad you started B12 injections and your journal. Rexx will start to feel better and that "sad look" that we all recognize will eventually disappear. I think they do not know what is going on inside....they just know they don't feel well. But he is on his way now. Some dogs take longer than others. It took Kolby a whole year before
he gained his weight back. Other pups gain it back right away. Keep us informed. You are doing a great job.

Barb