Raw Pancreas to Treat EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Raw Pancreas to Treat EPI

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Jul 2018, 20:11

Hi everyone, this post is from Nora.... from earlier today. For some reason her post was in the FORUM Rules & Tips pages.... not here on the forum... hopefully for those that use raw pancreas, ya'll can chime in and let her know what you do :)

[

Post by Nora » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:31 pm
Hello ALL,

I am new to this Forum. Thank you for accepting my request to join.
My German Shepherd is 7 years old now and she was diagnosed with EPI at the age of 5.
She is on pig pancreatic enzyme for 2 years now and doing pretty well.

I need to hear about your experience feeding your dogs raw pancreas as a substitute
for the powdered (or pills) enzymes.
What dosage is recommended per meal? Per day? Based on dog's weight?
What pancreas works better for your fur kids: pig's or beef's?

Found an article on-line that recommends 6.5 ounces of beef pancreas daily for dogs weighing 65 pounds.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Re: Raw Pancreas to Treat EPI

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Jul 2018, 20:42

Nora, the general information we have on Raw Pancreas is as follows... but over the years, from people posting on the old forum, my observation is that to get optimal results, folks give more raw pancreas than what is recommended. Some of this practice can be attributed to the fact that the potency of the raw pancreas will vary to some degree from one animal to the next.... so to compensate, many just always give more :)

I do know that although we suggest bovine (beef pancreas) cause in rare cases raw pig pancreas may have bacteria, some times some folks use different animal pancreas, like sheep, ox and we have had folks in our community try deer pancreas. In each case, again, they always use more....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Jul 2018, 11:00

Hi Nora and welcome to the forum! I do not use the raw pancreas but wanted to say hi. Please feel free to ask any questions. Sounds like you have been doing a great job of managing your German Shepard. Keep up the good work!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Steve
State: Oregon

Post by Steve » 25 Jul 2018, 15:03

Hello everyone. First post here. My 5 year old English Mastiff has been on raw beef pancreas for EPI for a little over a year now and is doing great. He loves it. He weighs about 220lbs and eats twice daily. With each meal he gets about 6oz. of pancreas with two Pet Factor B vitamins (very important). I have a dedicated blender for his pancreas. I keep his individual pancreas servings in the freezer until the day before I use them at which time they go in the refrigerator. A couple of hours before serving I put them on the counter to get to room temperature. Then I blend them with about a cup of room temperature water and add it to his kibble. Hope this is helpful for you.

Steve

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 25 Jul 2018, 15:38

Hi Steve thank you , can you tell me the amount of food you use per serving that my also help.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Steve

Post by Steve » 25 Jul 2018, 16:46

Sure. He gets around 3 to 4 cups of kibble at each meal.

Steve

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jul 2018, 18:43

Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting about how much raw pancreas you use per how much food. ... and how you prepare it... that is very helpful!!!!

By the way, your English Mastiff pup looks very sweet. We have had A Spanish Mastiff here on our Epi4Dogs forum (the old forum) but i don't think we have ever had an English Mastiff.... they are very cool dogs!!!!!!!!

Steve

Post by Steve » 26 Jul 2018, 12:30

Glad to be of some help. It was incredibly stressful before he was diagnosed with EPI. Repeated bouts of pancreatitis and all that goes with it. My vet knew very little about the condition and I pretty much relied on the Internet for guidance. I discovered raw pancreas for sale online before the lower cost enzyme Diane product. He liked it and it's slightly more expensive than enzyme Diane so I stuck with it. I knew there had to be an alternative to the very high cost prescriptions. My vet actually said that a good proportion of her clients choose to euthanize their pets because they can't afford the prescription cost. I wasn't about to give up on my buddy. Forums like this are a wonderful resource.

Steve

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Jul 2018, 16:32

I bet it WAS stressful.... and your baby is 220lbs now... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Certainly has responded extremely well to your care :)

Sadly your vet is correct, even the researchers tell me the same... that many people decide to put their pup down cuz they just cannot afford the brand name enzymes....the reality is raw or EnzymeDiane is a life-saver!

Again, thank you for sharing how yo do the raw.... it was very, very helpful!

[email protected]
State: New York
Pet name: Loki
My name: Toni T.

Post by [email protected] » 19 Dec 2021, 10:15

Well my Loki has been on beef pancreas for a week & the results are great.
In 2 years on enzyme powder he never pooped completely solid & within 1 day he’s going normal (color isn’t neon yellow either).
Fingers crossed he continues to improve!!! At worse my GSD Mix was 49 Lbs (got him at 11 months & he weighed 73 Lbs)