Update on McGee; the little dachshund

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
McGee
State: Wisconsin

Update on McGee; the little dachshund

Post by McGee » 19 Mar 2019, 19:32

McGee is gaining nicely & his poo has been consistently normal. He had lost several pounds before we found out about EPI. He was about 12 pounds (down from 17) when we began giving him an ounce of lamb pancreas with each meal. We increased meals from 3 to 4 times per day. He is now 15.5 to 15 pounds (fluctuates 8 ounces day to day). But he is consistently at 15 now. We continue with Slippery Elm in a tablespoon of kefir and Wonderlabs B12 daily. He gets squash twice a day and no treats. He definitely smells like 'pancreas' and we suspect we do, too!
His brother(litter mate) has shown signs of dislike toward McGee in the past month. He treats him quite differently and with more aggression. Has anyone else experienced this change in behavior in the 'pack' toward the EPI dog? Could it be a smell identity issue?
We are a bit worried about this change.
And..thank you for being here. Without EPI4Dogs, EnzymeDiane and the Whole Dog Journal article, our dog would have died of malnutrition.
Antoinette in Wisconsin USA owned by a feisty pair of smooth red haired dachshunds; Jeter & McGee. The boys are age 12 (littermates). Fed raw with a large variety of vegetables & fruit. McGee now fed with fresh lamb pancreas, Wonderlabs Slippery Elm, kefir and Wonderlabs B12.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Update on McGee; the little dachshund

Post by Madelon » 19 Mar 2019, 21:21

Hi. So happy to hear Mr. McGee is doing well and glad you found us and EnzymeDiane :) Lots of us feel the same way, we would hate to think what would have happened to our babies without Olesia starting this amazing group and EnzymeDiane providing the enzymes at an affordable rate. As for the behavior issues, usually it's the EPI dog that can sometimes be a bit aggressive until they are stable. I've not heard of the other dogs in the pack being aggressive towards the EPI dog - could it be the other little one feels like McGee is getting too much attention? A lot of EPI owners have said the bond with their EPI dog is stronger than any other they've had, possibly McGee's sibling can sense that? Hopefully someone else will chime in and offer some insight.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 20 Mar 2019, 04:20

hi there

nice update,

it might be the smell of pancreas your other dog doesnt like, and maybe give them both b12

the whole issue of smell of pancreas is weird, but its there,

Jea
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 20 Mar 2019, 08:23

So glad things are moving in the right direction for you and little McGee. I'm not sure why his sibling would react with aggression towards McGee. Could be the smell, or the extra attention. Usually the smell dies down a bit once treatment has been ongoing for a while. So hopefully if it is the smell, the aggression will improve as the smell does.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.