DOG FOOD

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
MICHAELASWITCH
State: Missouri

DOG FOOD

Post by MICHAELASWITCH » 28 Mar 2019, 18:48

Has any one tried Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach food salmon and rice?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: DOG FOOD

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Mar 2019, 18:59

Hi. Most folks on this forum with EPI dogs probably have not tried it as it contains rice.

Did you check out the dog food page?

Or is this for a non EPI pup?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

MICHAELASWITCH
State: Missouri

Post by MICHAELASWITCH » 28 Mar 2019, 19:11

He does have EPI, our vet just wasn't for the grain free idea, however, she said it just depends on the dog. We just started it so I will see how he reacts, we've had trouble finding a food for him since hes been diagnosed.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 28 Mar 2019, 20:04

Hi and welcome to the forum
Dog food selection is sometimes the hardest piece of the puzzle to find. Most EPI dogs do not do well with rice or other grains. But there is the occasional pup that does. So I would suggest if you are going to try it to buy the smallest bag. Any food you try I suggest the same. That way if it doesn't work well, you don't have this giant bag of food you can't use.
If you don't already have one, start a log to track how your pup is doing with the food change. Watch the poops, watch for tummy rumbling and gas. If the poops are loose and pup has gas and stomach noises, chances are good this food isn't the one.
I know there is a big controversy about grain free food, but EPI dogs have a hard time with grains as the enzymes have a hard time working properly with grains.
If the food with rice does not work, look for a grain free food without peas, or at least peas low on the ingredient list. Part of the problem with grain free food is that they are using inferior (usually things like peas) protein sources high on the list of ingredients.
We do have a pretty extensive list of many different kinds of foods other forum members have had good luck with found in the Diet section under the tab Managing EPI.
Keep us posted and ask questions as you have them!
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 30 Mar 2019, 23:05

Hi there and welcome to our EPI family. Most EPI dogs don't do well with grains, however, we have a saying "if you've met one EPI dog, then you've met one EPI dog", as each EPI dog is different. What we know is that research shows grains can interfere with the efficacy of enzymes but we don't know by how much from one EPI dog to another. So, if you are seeing good results with the enzymes, B12 and current food I would not change anything right now.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 31 Mar 2019, 11:19

most vets would prefer you to use prescription food probably because they get subsidised

my vet was different, he said the same as everyone says here

small bag, and keep a diary, that was 2010, he has been treating EPI since 1980 ish, so knows a bit

jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Ljsander

Post by Ljsander » 01 Apr 2019, 19:03

I mix a little of the Pro Plan with the Royal Canin gastro as I thought the good fat from the salmon would be good. Gus does fine on that mix.

Gwennyloo

Post by Gwennyloo » 03 Apr 2019, 08:09

We are also on vet royal canine wet Gastro food . I’d like to introduce some dry too ( instinct brand grain free high in protein) but the vet seems to only want to talk about their brand

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Apr 2019, 09:10

I had a JRT for 15 years who needed either prescription food or homemade. He had a host of medical issues. As far as food goes, I try to take charge of that for my dogs and get to one that works all around. Vets will continue to recommend other foods they carry as they get a kickback. Their food is more expensive(usually).
Does the Instinct brand have canned food also? I would go with that dry in a small sack and mix with some of their canned. There are a lot of great foods listed on the dog food page, and ones with no peas, no lentils, etc.
Pick a good food, start small and go with it.(that's what I would do 😊)
Make sure to switch food slowly over the course of 5-7 days.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 03 Apr 2019, 15:56

I agree with Jill, my vet put Riley on prescription food at the start too. I fed it to her for a while, but it just wasn't the right one, things weren't improving like I knew they should. Plus it was so expensive. So I went back and told him what I was changing to and why. He didn't encourage me, but he couldn't force me to buy his food. He also took back what I had left. Told me he could return it to the company and report it didn't work for his patient and also get a refund. Something to think about.
So I guess the moral to my story is you have some say and choice in how things like food go. But do talk with your vet about it and everything we suggest. They are your partner and you need them.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.