b12 question

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
MICHAELASWITCH
State: Missouri

b12 question

Post by MICHAELASWITCH » 29 Mar 2019, 15:49

Has anyone found a b12 supplement that is not an injection? My dog absolutely does not like the shots, and we have tried several ways to give it to him, but it does not work. Does anyone go to their vet to get them given by their vet instead? Just trying to see what everyone else does if their dog receives the b12 supplement? He's received the shots before about 2 months ago and did ok, but this time around that's not the case, and it's to the point not even trying. He's a GSD so he can act in his own way and defensive when it comes to this. He needs b12, but I don't want to do that shots. Any recommendations or help is appreciated. :D

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: b12 question

Post by Jean » 29 Mar 2019, 17:22

hi

this is the alternative, and used by many of our members

https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688

welcome from me in UK,can you tell us more about your dog
X
let us know how you get on

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 29 Mar 2019, 22:15

I started with injections but switched some time ago to the oral B12 Jean listed the link for. They aren't very expensive and I just open the capsules and sprinkle on my girl's food. No need to "pill" her that way. She's a super picky eater, and they don't change her routine at all.
Wonderlabs is also a great company to work with.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 29 Mar 2019, 22:28

I also use the Wonderlabs B12 with intrinsic factor. Kolby has done very well on it. I did do injections at home for a long time. Our vet showed us how to inject under the skin between the shoulder blades and Kolby did not react at all. However, one thing we learned the hard way at the beginning was that the size of the needle was very important. We had one size above the one we should have had and he jumped and wanted no part of it. As soon as we went to the next size down, he didn't feel a thing and couldn't wait for his treat. I was amazed.

But the Wonderlabs pills will eliminate all of these issues. And I agree with Lis, the company is lovely to work with.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 30 Mar 2019, 22:00

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. My boy is VERY dog reactive so taking him to the vet for B12 shots was not an option for us. His B12 was 406 at diagnosis - EPI dogs need their B12 to bee 600+; so after reading the information on this site and talking with other members, I ordered the WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 pills and he his B12 has been over 1000 ever since. Please know that some dogs do not respond to shots and respond better to the WonderLabs pills (they are both B12 but different types); and others might need a combination of shots and pills and others may just need shots.

Please let us know what you decide to try and how it works out.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

MICHAELASWITCH
State: Missouri

Post by MICHAELASWITCH » 03 Apr 2019, 18:13

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I chatted with the vet and she gave me some advice to try with his shot, and it helped. We held a treat in front of him to distract him, and I was able to give him the injection between his shoulder blades (not as tough skin) without and jerking, running away, or movement at all. He didn't even notice. However, I did go ahead and order the B12 pills from wonderlabs.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 03 Apr 2019, 20:18

Good for you.....I'm glad you feel more comfortable with the injections now.
Some people do a combo of injections and pills. Some do all of one or another. It's good you have choices now!
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Ruby
State: Florida

Post by Ruby » 18 Jun 2019, 22:05

I have used and still do use Wonderlab B12 with Intrinsic factor. They are not expensive and work great. I give my dog one at each meal. I just place the capsule in her food and she eats it up no problem. This company is very reliable and the meds don't cost a lot at all and they ship very quickly. I am happy, my dog is happy and my wallet is happy lol.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 19 Jun 2019, 03:18

all good stuff, we used both capsules, and injections
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx