Vaccinations and Flea control for EPI dogs

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
RichardB
State: California
Pet name: Sassy
My name: Richard

Vaccinations and Flea control for EPI dogs

Post by RichardB » 07 Apr 2019, 20:28

Hi All, Sassy's Dad here. It's coming up on time for her shots and I was wondering if that is a problem? Also, I've been giving them NexGard Chewables for flea and tick control that I just gave to the male but not Sassy yet.
About 10 years ago when I had a male GSD with Anal Fistulas, vaccinations were not advised since his immune system was compromised. Wondering what the thoughts are on this for EPI?
My dogs are house dogs that shouldn't be exposed to those things the shots protect against, but we do get the occasional possum, feral cats and raccoons in the back yard from time to time.

Thanks,
Richard

Judith
State: Delaware

Re: Vaccinations and Flea control for EPI dogs

Post by Judith » 07 Apr 2019, 21:41

Hi. Vaccinations have never been an issue for Nate who has EPI and Typical Addison's disease. I do spread them out and only give 1 at a time. He gets the core vaccines and rabies every 3 years and lepto 4 yearly because of where we live. I don't use oral flea medicines because of his history of seizures but I am sure other will pop in and share their experiences.
Nate and Raymi's mom
Nate 4 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
EPI, typical Addison's disease and epilepsy
TLI 2.0 June 2016
Chemeyes enzyme capsules
Hydroxocobalamin injections weekly
0.5mg prednisolone daily for Addison's
Percorten-V/Zycortal injection every 28 days for Addison's
Zonisamide 2x for epilepsy

Raymi 6 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Allergic to chicken and turkey

Eats Canine Caviar Venison kibble 3x

Nate and Raymi happily live in Bogotá, Colombia and Dover, Delaware.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Apr 2019, 21:57

Hi. Mine aren't EPI but get rabies and vaccines every 3urs. Like Judith I stagger them. Mine get leptospirosis yearly as we have elk here in our yard who carry it.
I use Frontline Plus.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Apr 2019, 22:36

Hi there. This is such a hot button topic. Ultimately it's a personal decision between you and your vet. I can tell you I have heard of some people having bad side effects from Nexguard and others swear by it. I personally recommend any vaccinations and flea/tick and heartworm meds be given a few weeks apart. I give heartworm meds on the 1st of the month and flea/tick on the 15th. I use Frontline for flea/tick - a lot of vets say its no longer effective but I guess that depends on your level of exposure. As for vaccines, I get the the titer test for vaccines and have a medical waiver from my vet for rabies as my EPI dog has bad reactions. I highly recommend researching the laws in your city, county and state and then discuss with your vet as to what the best options are for you and your dog.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 08 Apr 2019, 06:23

wer have always vaccinated

1/ because of PARVO

2/our insurance would have been invalid without

3/ our dog have immune issues, so thhey pick up things more than other dogs, mine in particular

but only one at a time just to see if there are reactions, and keep records

jEAN
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 08 Apr 2019, 07:53

It is a hot button topic, but I think like Madelon said ultimately it is a decision for you to make with your vet.
I vaccinate Riley. I also feel that they are compromised already and I don't want any opportunistic infection to gain hold. But we haven't had any reactions to the shots, so I don't have to factor that in.
I just don't give that Bordetella, and my groomer gives me a pass because of her EPI.
As far as heart worm and flea prevention, I would also suggest to stagger them. Try what has already been working for her and watch for reactions. Chances are she will still be fine.
Let us know how it goes!
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 08 Apr 2019, 11:45

Thanks All, for your experiences and suggestions. Sorry to say I respect the opinions and experiences of all of you over what a vet says, even one I personally like but now have questions about. Through all of you I get the advice of many vets! The wealth of knowledge and experience here in reference to EPI is probably far more than 95% of the vets could offer. My vets office said they see maybe 2 cases of EPI a year. The real experts are here, I'm sure and thankful!

Thanks,
Richard

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 08 Apr 2019, 16:01

Hi Richard,

We just had Kolby's yearly. We do the titre tests and so far he has kept his immunity so we have not had to vaccinate.....except for the Rabies, which is every 3 years here in NJ.

For the past three years we have been getting away without Flea meds, but when we were using them, we used Advantix and did not have any issues. As everyone has said, a lot depends on where you live and your pup's exposure.

Thank you for your kind words. Everyone who posts, asks questions, gives suggestions, or shares their experiences helps to make the Forum a place that helps everyone. It takes a village......

Barb

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 08 Apr 2019, 16:27

wonderful statement Barb

Richard, Barb and i have been EPI, and soul mates for probably 9 years

amazing community

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

RichardB

Post by RichardB » 08 Apr 2019, 19:26

Well, Jean and Barb, Thanks!!! Sassy's only 15 months and I hope I'll be part of your group at least as long as you two have!!! According to my daughter when she was in kindergarten: My Daddy's a fix it kinda Daddy! Well, she's 36 now and a doctor while I still try to be a "fix it kind of Daddy" for my new 2 babies. I was a very blue collar electronics tech and hobbyist auto mechanic, so I do like to try to fix things and understand how they work and why they don't. Thank You All for being there for all of us!!! You're kinda like my Youtube teachers when I need to look something up, but more like family!

Thanks,
Richard