Brittle Nails

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Lucky

Brittle Nails

Post by Lucky » 06 May 2019, 14:04

Our boy Lucky has had EPI since he was a young pup. We have had it under control for a year or two now. Some time ago, we noticed his nails would peel back around the edges. Vet said he has some kind of brittle nail disease. She pulled out her vet book and showed us the details it had on it. She recommends us feeding him several kinds of vitamins that can help make his nails as strong as possible, per the book. This was like 9 months ago. I think it's better but definitely not 100%. We would take him to daily daycare if it wasn't for his nails. He has so much energy and loves daycare. But doesn't go anymore to prevent issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? I wasn't sure if this was related to EPI or not. I do give him a b12 shot every 2 weeks.

Side note, there is a lot of stuff out there about all dogs being healthier if you give them pre/probiotics and digestive enzymes. If you search Amazon, lots of stuff come up, like one from Purina and one from Nusentia, which both combine have like over 5,000 reviews. Has anyone tried stuff like this? I don't know if it would make a difference with Lucky but we have another normal dog that licks all the time, wants to eat poop, acts like we are starving him, etc. This group is much more educated than most dog owners so I thought I would ask.

Curtis

Floramac

Re: Brittle Nails

Post by Floramac » 06 May 2019, 14:42

Our GSD had exactly the same, they would also split and get ragged.
I researched and found Onychotin (biotin). We have been giving her this for 6 months, one per day and there is a huge improvement.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 07 May 2019, 05:58

we had this with another shepherd but not Kara

will reach out for you

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Lucky

Post by Lucky » 07 May 2019, 13:16

When you give your dogs vitamins, do you mix it in the food and enzymes and let them "cook" together? or do you add the vitamins after the food has cooked?

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 May 2019, 21:59

To the best of my knowledge there’s no need to incubate vitamins with the food. I give Doc his vitamins right before I give him his food.

As for pre/probiotics every dog’s gut flora is different. I think most of the recent research suggests it’s more important to give a prebiotic as it gives the good bacteria something to feed off of. If you give a probiotic you want one that has a prebiotic with it and start out with half the recommended dose - watch the poops so you’ll know if Lucky can tolerate it or not.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 08 May 2019, 04:15

My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Lucky

Post by Lucky » 08 May 2019, 08:38

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone see any harm in incubating the vitamins/chews? We've always done that as it's easier. Make up several meals at once in bowls with lids and just add medicine during meal time.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 08 May 2019, 23:21

I throw my B12 in as the enzymes incubate and so far no problems with this method. I'm not sure about the other vitamins as I haven't tried them.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 09 May 2019, 11:35

We usually throw the B12 pill on his food right before serving. I don't know if there are issues with incubating the vitamins with the food.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 10 May 2019, 06:58

I don't think there is any problem with incubating the vitamins - the problem would likely be only if there is a medication that needs to be incubated and you don't. I will double check this with Olesia our founder and director of research and get back to you.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.