Diagnosis confusion

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Sarge25
State: Idaho
Pet name: Luna

Diagnosis confusion

Post by Sarge25 » 05 May 2019, 20:37

Just had my 2 yr old female shepherd tested for EPI. For the past yr and a half her symptoms have been:
Dog waste ranging from cow patty to black coffee
Eating waste
Excessive hunger (I feed her 2 cups each twice daily)
Bouts of excessive thirst
Walking skeleton
etc...
I have been able to at least get her to maintain her current weight by only letting her eat Science Diet I/D and using Bio Case enzymes.
Anyway, her results came back not EPI. I was certain she had it. Now I'm at a loss at what to do or test for.
Her results where:
Spec cPL 97
(TLI)a. 16.4
Cobalamin 533
Folate 19.3
Anyone have any suggestions? The Vet believed the only other thing it may be is some sort of dog IBS.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Diagnosis confusion

Post by Jean » 06 May 2019, 04:03

firstly, welcome

was the blood test 12 hours fasted ?
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Sarge25
State: Idaho
Pet name: Luna

Post by Sarge25 » 08 May 2019, 19:50

Yes, actually it was about 14 1/2 hrs fasting

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 10 May 2019, 03:56

Hello
I am posting the TLI results from the Lab and how to interpret it could be your dog has pancreatitis but that is a another test the folate is high that may suggest some form of gut in balance we use Tylan .
https://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/service/assays/tli
I think i would discuss with your vet.Hope this helps.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 10 May 2019, 06:52

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. I would definitely talk to your vet about SID/SIBO (small intestinal dysbiosis - formerly called small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) - it is very common in GSD. Here is a link to our page on managing SID https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-management/. I would also talk to your vet about possibly supplementing B12. There is recent research that dogs with chronic gut issues benefit from B12 supplementing - here is a link https://epi4dogs.com/b12-researchpublications/. Lastly, yes it could also be IBD - which basically means your dog has food sensitivities and will need to do a food elimination trial to see what proteins/ingredients your dog is sensitive to or use a prescription hydrolyzed food. Here is a link to some information on IBD https://epi4dogs.com/ibd-allergies-food-intolerance/

Also, just to keep in the back of your mind. My GSD was first tested for EPI at 3months old - his TLI was 16 and B12 was over 800 - he did great for 10months gaining weight and growing. He then slowly started to lose weight - he was tested for EPI again at 13mos old and his TLI was less than .4. SO, there is a slight chance your dog could be headed towards EPI but the pancreas is still functioning enough to not register as EPI and if other things are ruled out and the symptoms continue I would recommend testing again.

Keep us posted on what you and the vet decide to do. Whether or not your dog has EPI, you are welcome here.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.