Pup-date on Uma (and a question about calories)

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
UmaAndNicole
State: Pennsylvania

Pup-date on Uma (and a question about calories)

Post by UmaAndNicole » 11 May 2019, 14:32

Uma was adopted 12/15/18 and was 20 pounds less than the shelter told me she was. We figured out about a month later (after 30 days of diarrhea) that it was EPI, and she was down to 47 pounds. Now, we had a vet visit about a month again, and she is back to her target weight!!!

I use enzyme Diane 6x and feed Victor’s beef. It is amazing and her poops are the healthiest I’ve ever seen! She loves playing fetch and finding her hidden toys. She is like a brand new dog, and people that knew her at the beginning keep telling me they can’t believe how good she looks. She’s also on B12 dermal 1mL per month. But otherwise I dont need to do anything special!

Question- now that she’s running more, I want to make sure I’m feeding her enough. I was feeding her about twice as much as she needed until she got up to weight, and now she’s down to something more reasonable. I have to feed her before bed because she has empty stomach syndrome, so she gets fed three times a day. I want to make the meals somewhat substantial so she feels full. Anyone know any good resources for how to calculate how many calories she burns, especially now that we’re running around in the summer heat? She’s 60+ pounds now and, per the shelter, 10 years old.

Thanks everyone!! Attached are some pictures of my healthy gal :)
Attachments
7781DB05-7B3B-4E6F-9F78-9ECEA976A368.jpeg
7781DB05-7B3B-4E6F-9F78-9ECEA976A368.jpeg (3.16 MiB) Viewed 2947 times
8BEBBE2E-62CA-4C9C-A5D1-32CF630F4103.png
8BEBBE2E-62CA-4C9C-A5D1-32CF630F4103.png (3.17 MiB) Viewed 2947 times
21B45C9E-F6AC-475F-BFBB-3C00E2171C47.jpeg
21B45C9E-F6AC-475F-BFBB-3C00E2171C47.jpeg (4.12 MiB) Viewed 2947 times
Uma was adopted at 9 years 10 months. She had lost 20 pounds in the shelter. After a month of chronic diarrhea we found an answer- EPI. Treatment with whatever enzyme the doc has in stock and diarrhea stopped overnight. B12 supplements 1x a week for seven weeks. Glad we found an answer for my sweetheart!

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Re: Pup-date on Uma (and a question about calories)

Post by Riley's Mom » 11 May 2019, 15:35

Wow she's beautiful! Thank you for opening your home and heart to an older girl. How special <3
I don't know how to tell you to calculate, but maybe you could track her weight and make sure she isn't losing, if she maintains her goal weight even with all the running around then I would suspect you are feeding the right amount.
Good job getting her stable and weight back on! Such a good story to Read.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 May 2019, 19:44

What a great update. She is looking really great. I tend to feed a little more in the summer because the dogs are way more active. Keep up the good work.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 May 2019, 14:38

What a beauty! And what a wonderful update! How lovely of you to adopt her.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 25 May 2019, 23:38

She is GORGEOUS!! Thank you for taking in such a special dog. I don't know how to calculate what she'll need during the summer but I would just keep a close watch on her weight and poops.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.