Dry dog food

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
justmeterri
State: Pennsylvania
Pet name: Baylie

Dry dog food

Post by justmeterri » 15 May 2019, 12:26

Hi! I am a new member and was interested in seeing what dry dog food you are using for dogs with EPI. I have mine on IAMS lamb and rice and was wondering if there was something better.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Dry dog food

Post by Olesia711 » 15 May 2019, 16:30

lamb is a low grade protein..... so .. it is fine to feed but do try to rotate with another higher quality protein (meat)
With EPI dogs overall the majority of our dogs do better with low fiber content foods.... but....if one dog does fine on a particular food that is no guarantee that the next dog will do fine too... so there is a lot of trial and error.

But yes, there are some foods/brands that seems that many (although not all) of our dogs do better on.

I personally am now using Sport Elite grain and pea free
https://sportdogfood.com/sporting-dog-g ... h-formula/

it is a whitefish based food.
FYI.... stay away from any grain free food that has peas listed in the ingredients as one of the top 3 ingredients... EPI dogs cannot handle peas very well....

hope this helps a little.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 25 May 2019, 23:35

Hi. I switched my boy to Sport Dog Food Elite Herding (Buffalo and Sweet Potato) a few months ago and he's never been better.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

MegW
State: Colorado
Pet name: Shilo

Post by MegW » 30 May 2019, 14:26

I have been using the Sport Dog Food Elite herding buffalo for about 3 months and my girl seems to have developed an allergy and and sporadic fatty lipoma. Want to try the Turkey formula as she did not like the fish when I first found Sport Dog Food Elite. How long have you been using it? Shilo's poops have never been better but she has never had an allergic reaction to anything either!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 30 May 2019, 21:27

MegW wrote: 30 May 2019, 14:26 I have been using the Sport Dog Food Elite herding buffalo for about 3 months and my girl seems to have developed an allergy and and sporadic fatty lipoma. Want to try the Turkey formula as she did not like the fish when I first found Sport Dog Food Elite. How long have you been using it? Shilo's poops have never been better but she has never had an allergic reaction to anything either!
If you suspect a food sensitivity I highly recommend doing the NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test - it's an in-home saliva test that you send off. I did it for my boy when I suspected food sensitivities and when I changed his food the hot spots and infections and itching went away. I've been using the Sport Dog Food Elite Herding for about 4-5 months.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Ruby
State: Florida

Post by Ruby » 20 Jun 2019, 22:07

I have been for a long time and still using Earthborn "Great Plains Feast" My both dogs dog great on it. One has EPI the other dog doesn't.