Prebiotic

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Floramac

Prebiotic

Post by Floramac » 14 May 2019, 04:58

Can anyone recommend a prebiotic in the UK. I believe it is time to try this for Kenzie considering how many people recommend it.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Re: Prebiotic

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 15 May 2019, 03:41

Most of us use Slippery elm but it doesn't suit all dogs but you need it in a powder form.
Also i have used this >
https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/protex ... gL-TfD_BwE
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 15 May 2019, 09:22

Thanks for the link. I did try Slippery elm but it did not agree with her.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 15 May 2019, 16:33

since the slippery elm did not work well for Kenzie... exactly what is the issue? SID? Loose stools? If yes....
... talk to your vet about other prebiotics that they would recommend .... or..... ask your vet about trying some "RX clay"
https://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/vie ... -cats-otc

If you cannot get this product in the UK... ask your vet if they could recommend something similar.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

K.vitanova
Pet name: Nora

Post by K.vitanova » 09 Jul 2019, 05:10

Hi! My Nora was diagnosed with EPI 1 year ago. We finally found the right balance with the enzymes... BUT.. I think that she now shows signs of SID/SIBO. We did a course with antibiotics and anti acids a month ago. Everything was fine until a few days ago when the symptoms reappeared. With anti acids she is better. I don’t want to give them all the time so I am thinking of trying slippery elm. I was wondering if the Nature’s way capsules can be used on dogs as they are available here. And one more thing - can they be given with the food and enzymes. Thanks a lot :)
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Nature-s-Way-S ... 74#details

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 09 Jul 2019, 07:36

Hello love the name Nora in respect of the slippery Elm we suggest that you use the powder rather than the capsules ..but i was wondering if you cant get the powder were you are are you able to open the capsules and use like a powder that may be an option.With SE you mix in with the food and the enzymes and some water i am not sure which enzyme you are using i used a powder form .Also can i ask which antibiotic you used and how long for we suggest Tylan for 45 days and then rather than come straight of it we taper the dose down gradually can i also ask is your dog on B12???
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

K.vitanova
Pet name: Nora

Post by K.vitanova » 09 Jul 2019, 15:18

The enzymes we use are the Chemeyes powdered enzymes and she was feeling great until a few months ago when she had loss of appetite and was a bit lethargic. The vet ran some blood test (all normal) and echography (lots of gas in the stomach). She told us it was something bacterial and gave us anti acids and sulfametoxazol/trimethoprim. I think for 10 days of therapy. I give Nora B12 occasionally as her levels are normal, but just in case I give her a sublingual tablet from time to time. A few days ago she showed loss of appetite again and she wanted to come home from a walk early which is not typical for her. I gave her the same anti acids and the next day she was fine, today the situation is the same a she does not want to eat. Tylan is not available here :(

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 10 Jul 2019, 06:21

is Oxtetracycline available
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 10 Jul 2019, 15:24

Jean makes a good point about an alternative antibiotic, also can i add that the B12 i would suggest that you give these daily B12 can slip quickly and with SID/Sibo in play its role is very important.
[/color]

kese
Pet name: Mimosa
My name: Vivien

Post by kese » 13 Jul 2019, 04:11

Hi,
In addition to probiotics and slippery elm, we tried inulin (it's FOS and have lots of good effect) and it worked. Now I don't have to give probiotics and my dog's stool is good, so I'm very satisfied. I really recommend to try it out.

I read that article:
http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/ia ... sored-iams
I'm Vivien and I have a spitz girl, named Mimosa. We are from Hungary.

She is 10 y.o., weighs 11,6 lbs and was diagnosed in January 2019, with a 2 ng/ml TLI level.

I feed her 2 times a day (mix of wet and dry food) and use Creon 10.000 capsules.