Can enzymes cause snout sores?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
AAAAHHHH

Can enzymes cause snout sores?

Post by AAAAHHHH » 13 May 2019, 01:44

Hi everyone, my dog was diagnosed in the beginning of this year, and she had reacted very well to enzyme supplements. We mix the enzyme powders with meat and wait for 30 minutes for each meal. Lately I noticed she started having these white small fissures on her snout, and I was wondering if these could be sores caused by the enzyme? I havnt noticed any sores in her mouth. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Can enzymes cause snout sores?

Post by Olesia711 » 13 May 2019, 17:03

hmmmmmmmmm... it's possible i guess, but i have not heard of the enzymes causing something like this....might want to ask the vet to look at these white pimples/sores and maybe test them ....

please let us know what the vet says.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 May 2019, 12:59

Yes, I agree with Olesia. Kolby got ulcers when he started the enzymes, but they were on his gums and were not what you described. Let us know what the vet says.

Barb

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 14 May 2019, 14:49

Unrelated to enzymes I used a product Snout Saver on Mickey's dry crusty nose. Bag balm might work too.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 15 May 2019, 16:40

Oh wow thanks for sharing that information with us Jill... My Lulu (non-EPI dog) has developed a "crusty" nose on either side (she is a licker... licks EVERYthing!) i am going to try the Snout Saver
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 16 May 2019, 17:28

Marti got a dry cracked nose. I used Vaseline with aloe Vera flavour, which worked well. I have heard good reports of snoutsaver, but it costs considerably more!
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 25 May 2019, 23:28

Doc has a dry, crusty, brown nose on one side - I use Vitamin E oil and Bag Balm.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Sparkle Tangerine
Pet name: Montgomery

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 08 Jun 2019, 11:00

What kind of a dish are you using? If you're using plastic bowls, they can cause a lot of problems, including acne and the like. Are you washing your dish after each meal?
Montgomery was born 21 March 2012. He is a DSH orange tabby and white. Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food. He is a catnip junkie who loves paper bags and his stuffed mouse, Ignatz. His Pank-Aid is put into capsules each day as he gets mouth ulcers if it is mixed into his food. He gets two size zero capsules with each meal and eats six times each day. He gets .5ml Ovol twice a day for his gas. He is an enormous 3.08kg and strong enough to give his veterinarian a hard time. He is smart as a whip, has the loudest purr in the universe, and is so, so loved.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Jun 2019, 11:17

Try using a flat plate for serving. Might help keep the nose out of enzymes.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 08 Jun 2019, 13:10

Yep, we've used a flat plate for years. But Kolby still rubs his nose on the couch.....even if I wipe it after he eats. Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Barb