Diagnosis 72 hours ago - jack Russell X

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Diagnosis 72 hours ago - jack Russell X

Post by Jean » 06 May 2019, 05:36

this might need a course of Tylan

can you photo the poop and post
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Littlepickle
Pet name: Archer

Post by Littlepickle » 10 May 2019, 09:00

Just a quick update after our appointment today:
No further weight loss but nil gain at present
After the strange purple poo episode there has been no further - if anything it appears to be changing from the bright yellow to a semi brown colour and only twice per day with reducing volumes and almost the right texture (I have noticed that things are beginning to have an odour so hopefully the good bacteria is returning )
Has completed the course of Flagyl (metro) and the vet would like to just watch and see.
on the creon (1 scoop 4 times per day with a meal), probiotics twice per day and his usual gabapentin. As we are no longer giving the anti-inflammatories his leg is causing some grief - Once we have this sorted we will need to consider moving forward with the planned amputation (thinking October)
Food wise - 100gms 4 times per day (70% meat, 20% pumpkin and broccoli and 10%fat). I have been processeing the meat so that it is very soft. I have prescription dry mix and will introduce slowly next week to see what happens. My freezer looks like I am introducing food to a small baby with all the cubes of frozen vegetables.
We are booked for bloods next week to see what the B12 is up to.
So far we have spent $1300 AU from the beginning of the initial symptoms to diagnosis - Pet insurance has paid out $900 which is great. Just need to get the rest of the family up to speed on how to prepare his food and administer all the meds.
Thanks for answering all the questions to date

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 10 May 2019, 09:58

Thank you so much for the update. The change to brown color in the poop is a good sign. Keep up the good work.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 10 May 2019, 23:33

Can you post what Creon you are using? Creon is enteric coated capsules not a scoopable powder. Have you been supplementing B12? Keep us posted on the B12 levels and poops - sounds like the poops are headed in the right direction.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Littlepickle

Post by Littlepickle » 11 May 2019, 04:47

We have been dispensed the creon as the enteric costed granules rather than in capsules. It comes with a super tiny scoop to measure. Each scoop contains the following:
Lipase 5,000bp units
Amylase 3,600bp units
Protease 200 oh. Euro units

Each bottle (20grams) has 200 doses

Currently on 4 meals per day and once we have sustained weight gain we will transition to 3 and then twice per day. Having the granules will allow me to make minor dosage adjustments as we make the food volume changes.

B12 supplementation to commence after blood test late next week when we know what we will need to do.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 11 May 2019, 08:15

Good update, sounds like things are moving in the right direction.
You sound like you are still having some ups and downs in the poop department, which could be the adjustment to new food or could need more antibiotics. It's a watch and see thing. So keep careful notes, that way you can track things and pinpoint what is causing problems.
As far as the weight gain, some are very slow to regain weight. Stopping the weight loss is huge and is a great beginning!
Will be interesting to see what the B12 is.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Littlepickle

Post by Littlepickle » 18 May 2019, 21:27

Quick update:
Weight up 100 grams this week
Poo was looking great so did a trial run of introducing appropriate dry food (15 grams in both of the morning feeds) - by midday yellow very loose poo so that’s obviously a failed challenge. Back to chicken, pumpkin and broccoli (home made) and 1/4 tsp coconut oil at each meal. Still feeding four times per day and 130gms per feed (100gm protein, 49 gram vegetable )
I have increased the enzymes slightly to 1 1/4 scoop and will consider going up to 1 1/2 depending on this weeks response / weight gain.
Awaiting Vitamin B levels

Reading others stories the recovery phase of this disease seems to be a slow and steady path.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 May 2019, 23:42

You did the switch over a week?
Are you using the 1 teaspoon enzyme to 1 cup kibble? Or 3/4 teaspoon enzyme per 1 cup wet food?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Littlepickle

Post by Littlepickle » 18 May 2019, 23:51

We are feeding approx 1 cup (tea cup) four times per day of wet food with 1 1/4 tsp of Creon (enteric coated granules).

Littlepickle

Post by Littlepickle » 18 May 2019, 23:52

Sorry - 1 1/4 scoops (one that comes with the Creon for measuring). I am in Australia not the US so not using the powdered enzymes.