New Non EPI Member of the Family

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
missopal75

New Non EPI Member of the Family

Post by missopal75 » 10 Jun 2019, 08:20

So this weekend we brought home a new additional. She does not have EPI, but my baby boy Bruno does. How do I feed them both with her eating his food and without him eating her food? she already ate a small piece of his food with the enzymes on it and I know that is not good for her. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I don't need either of them getting sick.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: New Non EPI Member of the Family

Post by Jean » 10 Jun 2019, 08:28

hi there

how lovely to have a new addition to the family

the only thing i can think of is to feed them in different areas

it would be worse if Bruno eats food without enzymes

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Jun 2019, 09:05

My two eat in the kitchen but they eat at opposite ends. I hang out in the middle. If anyone leaves food I pick it up.

I agree with Jean about your EPI pup eating food without enzymes.

However there is probably enough enzyme in the stomach that should a few kibbles get eaten right then it might be ok.

Maybe just pick up any uneaten food.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

missopal75

Post by missopal75 » 10 Jun 2019, 15:22

Thank You both for the suggestions. My biggest issue is that Bruno doesn't always eat his food right away, and when I picked his up so the new pup wouldn't eat it he started to eat her food. I just want to make sure if she was to eat a little of his food with the enzymes if that would cause her issues, and him I always try to keep him away from her food, unless he ate all his and grabs a few pieces of his.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 11 Jun 2019, 03:18

my advice is not to get too stressed out, it will work out

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Post by Paige's Guardian » 11 Jun 2019, 07:50

I have 4 dogs: 3 labs with normal lab appetites and a Great Dane with malabsorption that gets enzymes, tylan and a whole host of other "things" in her homemade meal.

I feed the Dane in my room, separate from the labs. I give her time to eat. She is super slow in eating but when she is done, she is done. I have the labs separated as well otherwise, they would make the rounds into each other's bowls.

Being separated helps them to eat their foods more slowly and chew which helps them NOT to get bloat. It also helps to NOT start any pissy behaviors....like food aggression. I have had them for more than 8 years with this system and they are the best. I have all toys and bones out without ever having an issue. They take turns playing with toys/bones and will wait for one dog to stop chewing, walk away ---then, go get the bone they want to chew on. Very respectful of each other's space. And, I stay out of it.

When I give treats, I say their name then, give the treat to that specific dog. This helped to not have them all go for my hand at the same time. It's funny that when I say one of the dogs' name, the other 3 dogs look away, like "Ok, that's not me." I don't really give any real "treats", just dog food since the labs are so food motivated they will eat anything. And, treats are too expensive with so many dogs in the house.

I used to give high value smoked femur bones and they were separated to chew on those just so as not to start any pissy behaviors. I don't give those anymore.

Oh, all 4 dogs went thru training separately, and I continue with their training vocabulary to this day.

Have fun! It's blast.
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 13 Jun 2019, 15:35

Conny's system sounds like a winner. Managing 4 dogs is no easy task, but you make it sound easy. I especially like how respectful they are of each other's toys. Sometimes dogs guard those. And I love how you do the roll call for treats. Impressive!

Barb

missopal75

Post by missopal75 » 14 Jun 2019, 10:35

Thank You Conny

My little boy who has the EPI just stands over his food for a long time before he even thinks about eating it. Sometimes he'll just take a couple bites and walk away and go back after a 1/2 hour or so. I can't get him to just eat his food. If anyone has suggestions on how I can get him to actually eat his food that would be great too. I've tried putting it on a small plate instead of in a bowl, I've tired letting it incubate for a little longer, sometimes not as long...I'm just not sure how I can get him to eat.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Jun 2019, 14:03

Hi, you don't want to let it set out too long as unwanted bacteria will grow. You might ask the vet about Creon. The enzymes are encapsulated spheres you sprinkle on right before eating. They don't taste.

You could try putting the enzymes in gel capsules and feed pre meal. This works with some pups you just need to keep a close eye to see the poop doesn't go bad.

Also you have tried tasty toppers like parmesan cheese, tuna water, etc?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 14 Jun 2019, 14:11

OK

can I suggest liver, pan fried, with a small amount of garlic, cooled, and added as a tablespoon of a topper to food

there is a liver cake

https://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/training ... iver-cake/

My dogs and cats would kill for it

but stay simple, the flour might be an issue

sadly we dont have either at the moment

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx