Dog not wanting to eat his food

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
MICHAELASWITCH
State: Missouri

Dog not wanting to eat his food

Post by MICHAELASWITCH » 26 Jun 2019, 18:26

Hello everyone,

My German Shepard- Shaq, has been using pancreatic enzymes from Enzyme Diane since pretty much he has been diagnosed with EPI. However, we have recently moved into a new home and ever since we have moved he hasn't been interested in the food he has been on for over 6 months, that we finally found that worked well for him. He had no problem at our old place eating. However, he has gained the weight he had lost, plus some so I know he isn't as hungry as he was before. Has anyone tried mixing the enzymes with wet canned dog food or mixing the wet dog food and dry dog food together. I feel like he's "burnout" on the food mixed with water, but I need a way to be able to mix the enzymes with something.

Anything advice helps!

thanks,
Shaqs mom

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Dog not wanting to eat his food

Post by jilbert57 » 26 Jun 2019, 19:09

Mixing wet and dry food together can be done. The wet food takes 3/4 teaspoon enzyme per cup. Kibble is 1 teaspoon enzyme per 1 cup kibble. Some folks have had luck incubating the enzymes in a topping like yogurt or babyfood, then stirring it into the kibble. You just have to keep an eye on the poop. Have you tried sprinkling parmesan cheese or drizzling tuna water on the enzymed food?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Dog not wanting to eat his food

Post by Madelon » 26 Jun 2019, 21:52

Hi there. I'm sorry your pup isn't wanting to eat - I know it can be stressful. Some members have had a lot of luck using chicken broth or beef broth to mix the enzymes in. You can also try feeding on a flat plate - not sure why but it works for some. If you don't mind my asking, just to rule some things out, when was your dog diagnosed with EPI? Are you supplementing B12? It could also just be the stress of the move and being in a new place.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.