Diagnosis 72 hours ago - jack Russell X

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: Diagnosis 72 hours ago - jack Russell X

Post by Barb » 13 Jun 2019, 14:42

Congratulations on the weight gain. Yes, see if the color of stools improve after a longer regimen of Tylan.

You have done such a good job with him.....thinking of his future surgery, he is lucky to have you!

Barb

Littlepickle
Pet name: Archer

Post by Littlepickle » 27 Jun 2019, 07:48

Another update - a further 500gram weight gain (we have hit 8.0kg). Continues on 4 meals per day and medication regime appears to be working. Poo still remains yellow/ brown and low odour so will remain on tylan for now. Just had 6th vitamin B12 injection - for fasting B12 and folate levels next week ( fingers crossed that levels are increasing).
Will have a look at the information here about appropriate B12 oral meds as I am sure we will need to add those in at some point.
Thank you

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Jun 2019, 08:43

What a great update! Yes this site has a lot of really great information on it. It covers all aspects of EPI and some additional topics.

https://epi4dogs.com/b12-in-brief-2/
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 28 Jun 2019, 11:04

Hello that a great gain and isn't it a great feeling.....my gal had problems with b12 or holding the levels eventfully i was able to swop to the wonderlab tablets .https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688

It may be something you want to consider after you get the next test we have seen that in smaller dogs they can more effective than the jabs....some do a combination of both.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 01 Jul 2019, 10:39

We also went to Wonderlabs pills with Intrinsic Factor for Kolby and he began to gain weight steadily.

A great update!

Barb

Littlepickle

Post by Littlepickle » 12 Jul 2019, 05:17

Quick update - weight gain static . b12 levels have gone from 68 to 150 so will continue on weekly injections for now. Continues on the Tylan for another 45 days.
Continue to make his food which at 3 kg per week is rather labour intensive.

Thanks for everyone’s help..

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Jul 2019, 12:46

Thank you for the update!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 14 Jul 2019, 09:14

Thank you for the update!

Barb

Littlepickle

Update: Diagnosis 72 hours ago - jack Russell X

Post by Littlepickle » 28 Sep 2019, 06:46

Hi Everyone,
Thought I would provide a quick update at our 5.5 months since diagnosis.
Through feeding 4 times per day (up to 140 grams per feed) we have been stable at a weight of 8.9kg (up 1.2 kg since diagnosis) for the past couple of weeks and can now start looking at dropping the grams per feed down over the next 6 weeks - keen to stay at the 4 meals as it appears to be working well.

Medications:
Creon 1 1/2 capsules per 140 grams of food : I make the 1/2 capsules up using the capsules from the full dose.
Tylan: 1/8 tsp in cream cheese twice per day. Vet is keen for us to think about continuing to use this on a long term basis
B12 injections weekly (current levels 220. On diagnosis levels were 58). As he progresses to not needing weekly weights I will take over the administration.
Probiotic: I did have him on an expensive animal priobiotic but felt it was creating issues with his bowel motions so removed with improvement.
Gabapentin: 100 grams twice per day Not for EPI but for his leg deformity.

Bowels: Usually brown with the odd yellow one in there. Occasionally a strange 'purple' skin poo appears but then no further for 6 or so weeks.
Plan to continue with the homemade diet and complete a few challenges with low fibre kibble to find a suitable one.
We plan to have a 6 week overseas holiday next year and I worked out that I would need to leave approx 20kg of home cooked portioned meals with the house/pet sitter if I am unable to transition him to something commercial.
Thanks for all the information to date.