Looking for a Vet in indiana

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Wrenleysue
State: Indiana
Pet name: Wrenley

Looking for a Vet in indiana

Post by Wrenleysue » 25 Jul 2019, 14:27

Hi, I’m looking for a vet knowledgeable with EPI in Indiana. I am north of Indianapolis.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Looking for a Vet in indiana

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Jul 2019, 21:17

Hi. Here is a link from the EPI site:

https://epi4dogs.com/recommended-vets/
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 26 Jul 2019, 11:36

We often say that if you have a vet who doesn't understand EPI share the information on this site with them so that they can learn...the next time they get an EPI dog they will be so knowledgeable.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 27 Jul 2019, 22:33

Sometimes it's actually better to have a vet that is new and unfamiliar with EPI as they are willing to learn with you. If you trust your vet, don't worry if they don't have experience treating EPI as long as they are open to learning about it and being a partner with you in your dog's care.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Hoosier
Pet name: Shelby
My name: Sheila

Post by Hoosier » 02 Aug 2019, 11:26

Hi I live in Greenfield Indiana just east of Indianapolis. We take our dog Shelby to the Brookville Animal Hospital. Our Vet there is Dr. Earl Dryden. He is part owner and is very good. He understands the concept of EPI and will work with you in any way. He learned a lot about it with me. I learned the most from this website and I think I educated him a little as well. My Shelby did not test positive to EPI but still has to have the enzyme for help with digesting her food. She is treated the same as having EPI though. If not she loses weight and gets diarrhea and SIBO. She is stable now and doing quite well.

Please give Brookville Animal Hospital a call 317-353-6143 They have several Vets to help you I just deal with Dr. Dryden for the last 5 years. They also do surgery there and have Dr. Lee there for surgeries as well who is rated the best in Indiana. I think you wont be sorry you put your baby in their hands for healthcare.
I am Sheila and I am Shelby's mommy.
She is not EPI positive according to Dr. Barko from his TLI testing. But she does have a pancreas problem .
She is on 6x enzyme 1.5 tsp on each meal. She eats Forza 10 Sensitive Skin formula and gets 1.5 cups 2 x per day. She currently weighs just under 100 lbs. She takes B-12 (2)pills every other weekend. She suffers from yeast that I cannot get rid of. She gets 4 pills of antihistamine each day 2 with each meal.

Shelby left my world on November 19-2019 She will be forever missed and loved.

Madelon
Staff

Post by Madelon » 04 Aug 2019, 22:16

Thank you Shelby's person for responding and giving the name of a vet that not only is familiar with EPI but that you trust!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Wrenleysue
Pet name: Wrenley

Post by Wrenleysue » 13 Aug 2019, 10:19

Thank you for the replies. I called the Dr. in Shelbyville, Indiana that is on the list of Dr.’s on the EPI4dogs website and they say they have never treated a dog with it. So I’m thinking maybe that Dr. should not be on the list. I left a message with my vet asking if he wanted to learn this with me or if he’d preferred I see someone else. We shall see.
Wrenley was doing well after starting enzymes from enzyme Diane for about a month now. The past couple of days she is going more frequently with larger softer poops. Not sure if is because she has finished her metronidazole or because the food we started isn’t fully grain free. She was on Pro Plan EN and switched to Sport Dog K-9 hero. I had planned on getting the Herding series but the company said their EPI customers were doing well on this one also. So I bought it thinking it was grain free (I thought all their food was). My fault for just assuming.
We have not started on any B12 yet because I wanted to have her tested first. Maybe I shouldn’t wait on the B12 because I am afraid while I am waiting to find someone to officially test and confirm EPI we are going to get sibo again.
She had 2 months of oily cow patties and after one day of enzymes had her first formed poop! Her energy level improved but never fully back to herself yet. So I am thinking B12 is probably low.
She is a 1 1/2 year old Pyrenees/Lab.
Sorry for the long mosh massed post.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 13 Aug 2019, 18:44

So Wrenley has not been diagnosed with EPI using the cTli fasting blood test?
It is hard to know what you are treating if there is no diagnosis. EPI symptoms can mimic other conditions. You might want to get a definite diagnosis.

4 things are addressed with EPI to get them on track:
Enzymes
Diet
B12 if it is not in the 600 and above range
Antibiotics if SID(small intestinal disease) is showing itself.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Aug 2019, 23:13

My apologies to you for contacting the vet in Shelbyville and for them informing you that they never treated an EPI dog. That is just so strange because the ONLY way any vet gets on the Recommended Vet list is if someone personally recommends them and gives us their contact information.... so my apologies.

In the meantime though.. thank you to Shelby's humans from recommending Dr. Dryden... i have included Dr. Dryden with the statement that your dog, althou does not have EPI does have a pancreas problem and that you have been very pleased with the care Shelby has received.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff

Post by Madelon » 14 Aug 2019, 22:17

Hi. I am so sorry that the vet you called from our list said they had not treated an EPI dog. As Olesia, said the only way veterinarians are put on our list is through an EPI owner stating they had a good experience with the vet.

Was Wrenley diagnosed with EPI through the fasted blood test? It's okay to treat as if EPI for a short term, however, we don't recommend treating as if EPI long term without the test being done because EPI can mimic many other conditions and in a few rare instances a dog has passed away being treated as if EPI when in fact they had another completely treatable but undiagnosed condition.

If your dog is EPI, then yes the grain in the food could be an issue. We recommend grain free with 4% fiber or less. Whether or not your sweet Wrenley has EPI, you are welcome here and we will help you in any way we can.