enzyme storage

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

enzyme storage

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Aug 2019, 12:03

How do y'all store your enzymes? I just got a big bag, and I don't want to open & close it every time I feed Tucker. I was thinking a quart ball jar. What do you use? Thanks---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: enzyme storage

Post by jilbert57 » 17 Aug 2019, 12:34

Hi Pam, I always bought the small sack. I always wondered if the enzymes are sensitive to light?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Aug 2019, 16:34

Too late for me, I've already got them! The larger quantity is way more economical. Hmmm, I keep them in a cupboard, so I need a container that shuts tight, opens easily so they don't spill, and maybe is dark. OK, thanks!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 17 Aug 2019, 20:49

I keep my big bag in the original bag and just open and close as needed - when I first open it thought I try to shake the bag from the top to allow any enzymes at the top to fall to the bottom. I do keep that bag inside a gallon zip lock bag and in a kitchen cabinet. I've never had any issues but I know some keep them in jars, etc. so it's just whatever works for you.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 18 Aug 2019, 06:57

Thank you!---Pam

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 21 Aug 2019, 18:39

Hi Pam,

I kept some of the plastic containers (12 oz) with screw on lids that the commercial enzymes came in, before I found Enzyme Diane. I think think it was PancreVed. When the enzymes come in the big bag, I transfer them to the plastic containers and keep them in a corner kitchen cabinet so no light gets in. I also put in each jar one of the packets that absorbs moisture that come in the Wonderlabs bottles.

I'm sure you could find screw-on containers in kitchen supply stores, or of course, online.

Barb

Kodis Mom
Staff

Post by Kodis Mom » 22 Aug 2019, 18:21

Hi, I put about 2 cups a quart glass canning jar so that the measuring spoon fits in there too. Keep a lid on it. The kilo bag I buy, I put In a gallon zip lock bag and seal. The extra is kept in a cupboard. When i empty the last of the bag into the jar is when i reorder. That way i never run out .
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 23 Aug 2019, 05:11

Thanks everybody! I ended up putting some into a small cottage cheese container that fits inside a canister with a tight-fitting lid. I am thinking the moisture packet is a great idea, so I'll find one of those to put in, too. Earlier, I asked about 8X vs 6X, and yesterday I used up some of the 8X I had in a recently purchased sample bag. I adjusted the dose, of course, but interestingly I found it didn't have the same effect on T's poo. Glad I bought a big bag of 6X, based on other things I learned from you all. Take Care, and this aging preschool teacher also says HAPPY FRIDAY!---Pam

Arya&Bran
State: California
Pet name: Arya
My name: Christine

Post by Arya&Bran » 23 Aug 2019, 10:24

We also use the PancrePlus bottles to store our enzymes. We keep them in the kitchen cupboard as well.
"Happy Friday" to you too,
from a Fifth Grade Teacher!
Arya & Brandon born March 17, 2013. Lab/Shepherd/ Border Collie mix.
Arya gets 1/4 can of Blue Buffalo. Be sure there are no peas in the food. Backyard BBQ, & Denali Dinner are some of the foods. Be sure the food is warm, but NOT HOT, as it will kill the enzymes. We mix 2 1/2 teaspoons EnzymesDiane powder into her food(including the kibble), Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula, 2 cups(Chicken & Brown Rice). We incubate food for 30 minutes.After the incubation period add, 2 Metamucil capsules(broken open & sprinkled on food)& Rx vitamins for pets probiotic. We add The WonderLabs B12 & Slippery Elm at dinner only. Again, we agree that no two EPI pets are the same.

Seattlelove13
Pet name: Juniper
My name: Jennifer

Post by Seattlelove13 » 07 Aug 2021, 13:00

Hi, jumping on to this older post to ask about enzyme storage. I am asthmatic and have to be very careful with the enzymes. I'm certain that moving them into an airtight canister is a better idea overall but am concerned about getting them transferred without kicking up dust. Anyone have tricks to make the transfer less 'dusty'?
Juniper is our 6 y/o GSD diagnosed with EPI in June 2021. TLI 0.9 and Cobalamin (B12) <150. Lab and U/S confirmed SIBO/SID. Lowest weight 60.6 on 6/29/2021. Currently stable/healthy weight of 74lbs :D EnzymeDiane 6x 3/4 tsp per cup. Prednisone 5mg/day. B12 supplement 1000mcg/day orally. She received a 6 week course of injections before we started. Eats Hills Prescription Digestive Care i/d and boiled chicken.