Another Finn Update

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
worriedparents

Re: Another Finn Update

Post by worriedparents » 16 Aug 2019, 18:05

Finn's urine has tested positive for e.coli. Luckily not the Corynebacterium again, but I could just scream. If history is any indicator he's going to go off this food (because of antibiotics) and we don't have anything to switch him too. I can't go buy kangaroo and cook it differently hoping he may like that. I did get another brand of Kangaroo dry, but would have to sell off my own organs to pay for it long term. Ordered another canned brand today as a backup if he goes off this food.

That's two UTI in less than a month, so giving D-Mannose daily has not helped reduce the chances of that. This poor dog never gets a break and therefore neither do we.
Adopted Finn 4 years ago. He's 7 maybe 8 years old? Reoccurring diarrhea, picky eater and loss of appetite from day 1. Low B12 causing hind-end weakness in July 2017. B12 injections didn't help his appetite, diarrhea or energy like we thought they should have. I found this wonderful forum and learned about EPI, which he doesn’t have, and SIBO/SID which he does have. On Tylosin and B12 pills with intrinsic factor long-term. Blood clot in his left femoral artery in July 2018, which Clopidogrel and Xareltro helped clear up, also long-term. Latest problems since fall 2018 are food sensitivities and (misdiagnosed) UTI causing incontinence.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 17 Aug 2019, 21:14

I am so sorry you are going through this and Finn too. Sending hugs and prayer.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

worriedparents

Post by worriedparents » 18 Aug 2019, 09:40

Thanks. He had cow plop poop on his walk this morning. :cry: We haven't seen that in such a long time. He wanted out at 3 am to go pee, so at least from a neurological standpoint he still knows when he has to go. It was raining so he wouldn't stay out long. At 4 am he headed to the back door and squatted right at the door desperate to get out. He couldn't hold it in. That poop was a bit smelly but still well-formed, but more of it. The poop we are into now is going to be a lot less pleasant to clean up in the house.

Yesterday we sprinkled a bit of cranberry supplement on his food, put a bit of ACV in his water and gave some plain peanut butter for him to take meds. Won't be doing that today. His canned food is not a high enough incentive for him to take his pills at times. We have an appointment with the Internist on Wednesday.

Zeniquin was at the top of the culture's sensitivity list, but I said no. That makes him vomit. He's going to start Baytril but has to be compounded so he doesn't start it till Wednesday. It should be interesting to see what that does to his GI.

To retest folate and B12, they have to be fasted for 12 hours, correct? Do they have to stop taking the Wonderlabs B12 supplement for an extended period before that too?
Adopted Finn 4 years ago. He's 7 maybe 8 years old? Reoccurring diarrhea, picky eater and loss of appetite from day 1. Low B12 causing hind-end weakness in July 2017. B12 injections didn't help his appetite, diarrhea or energy like we thought they should have. I found this wonderful forum and learned about EPI, which he doesn’t have, and SIBO/SID which he does have. On Tylosin and B12 pills with intrinsic factor long-term. Blood clot in his left femoral artery in July 2018, which Clopidogrel and Xareltro helped clear up, also long-term. Latest problems since fall 2018 are food sensitivities and (misdiagnosed) UTI causing incontinence.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Aug 2019, 14:09

I just googled dog fasting for B12 and it came back 6 to 8 hours fast. I am not sure if it is 12 hr. My dogs always vomit if they fast that long so I give a pepcid or zantac the night before. Or if appt is end of day I give it first thing in am. Works for us but run it by your vet if you do.
I wouldn't stop the B12 pill. If they test the level and it is high keep doing what you are. I am sure to be corrected if this is wrong. :D

My dogs go nuts over canned food. NULO chicken and green beans. Ingredients are chicken, broth and green beans. When home I make it in the crock for topper.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 18 Aug 2019, 21:12

Firstly - have you tried cream cheese for the meds? In my experience even the pickiest non-eating non-pill taking dogs will take it wth cream cheese - give him a little taste with nothing in it to get him going and then put the meds in a glob of it.

As for the B12 testing - the rule of thumb is to stop supplementing for 7 days before testing - HOWEVER - I differ in my opinion on this and it is JUST MY OPINION - but if I'm going to test to see where his B12 level is with supplements why stop supplementing a week befor testing? I personally don't - I don't fast and I don't stop supplementing when testing for B12 because I want to know what his level is with the current supplement. The theory behind stopping supplements is to see how long your pup can go without having a supplement and what the level would be.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

worriedparents

Post by worriedparents » 24 Aug 2019, 15:54

We didn't do any testing. The Internist said it's likely inflammatory bowel disease and I think the vets are giving up on him. He's got so many things going on and chalking everything up to old age. He really liked the kangaroo food and he perked up a bit after being on that. No more allergy symptoms. His gas and poops levelled out ok. He had another laser treatment and seemed to be in less pain afterwards. He was getting himself up easier and eager to go for a walk one morning. And then we started Baytril for the UTI. It's been downhill since then. I can't imagine another 8 days on this. I thought Zeniquin was bad for upsetting his stomach and maybe it's just because he's gotten worse overall but he barely wants to eat without a lot of coaxing. Is very lethargic and weaker. He's drooling a lot too, especially when he eats. Not vomited and that seems to be the only question vets ask - has he vomited? No? Ok, let him suffer through this. We asked for anti-nausea meds yesterday and he got Cerenia. He ate a bit after that. His water intake is down too.

He can't keep getting antibiotics. His stomach/system can't handle it. The reoccurring UTI's and need for antibiotics will be the end for him. He's still is a dog who is ruled by his nose. If he smells cheese he wants to eat and tries to eat a bit but not more than a few bites. He hates the smell of slippery elm and if I add anything to his water (like camomile or nettle....or anything) he knows and refuses to drink it. What a helpless feeling.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Aug 2019, 17:54

When you have the urine tested for a UTI is the ph always the same?

I was just reading about recurring UTI'S. There are some metabolic conditions that can cause them. Has the thyroid been tested?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

worriedparents

Post by worriedparents » 24 Aug 2019, 19:18

I've not been told it's out of range. I haven't seen his urine or blood work reports for quite a while. I think he had blood work in the spring and I was told everything was fine except the CardioPet. That value was high which it has been off and on since we adopted him. Not sure if thyroid was part of the panel, I imagine it was. I don't have the results to review.

After getting the Cerenia we got him up to go outside to go pee. He did and came right back in. He refused water and barely wanted to lick ice, which he usually loves. He ate almost a whole can of dog food when we held a spoon up to him.

I thought he's been hot lately because he's wanted to lay outside in the cool air vs how the warm the house has been. And he settles down once he lays his face on the air conditioning vent, but I took his temperature thinking it may be high but it's registering low. 37.9 the first time and 37.7 (99.8) after eating. We dread having to take them to the emergency vet. One vet there, who unfortunately we usually have to see, has greatly misdiagnosed him 3 times now (every time he's seen him). Not even remotely accurate. To say I have 0 confidence in his ability is an understatement. He gave him 6 months at most over 2 years ago. We called and he is working tonight.

worriedparents

Post by worriedparents » 24 Aug 2019, 21:02

To add: One minute he seems like we should take him to the vet because he's in bad shape (lethargic and listless, not wanting to drink etc), the next minute he's fine. We took him out for a pee and he wanted to go for a walk. A dog went by and the race was on. Lots of strength and stamina again. He drank water on his walk. We got back and he wouldn't touch it in the house unless we dumped it into his bowl from a jug. He's done that before. He's very particular about how or when he gets water presented to him. He has never drank from a bowl that's had water sitting in it. He's too smart and neurotic for his own good.

I have a couple types of urine ph strips. I just tested it, and perhaps closer to 7.0, but not sure they would be accurate.
After the walk his temperature was 38.4 (101.1), so normal again.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Aug 2019, 21:30

That is interesting. Wonder if he would drink out of one of those little fountains?

Jill