Pain Meds and EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Estolooee
State: Colorado
Pet name: Rocksie
My name: Eryn

Pain Meds and EPI

Post by Estolooee » 24 Aug 2019, 21:25

Hi all,
My sweet epi girl, Rocksie, was just diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer). I have to make some hard choices about the right care for her over the next couple days, but in the mean time I want to make sure she is comfortable. My typical vet is out of town and the vet who diagnosed her does not have much experience with epi. However, she mentioned the enzymes might break down the pain medication, making it ineffective, if given at the same time. She suggested maybe giving her the pain meds an hour or so after digesting the enzymes. Of course, Rocksie won't take the medicine unless it is disguised in some food, so now I'm at a loss. Has anyone had to give their epi kiddos pain meds? I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Pain Meds and EPI

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Aug 2019, 21:39

To my knowledge enzymes only work on fats, proteins and carbohydrates. You are good to give the pain medication with food.
Sorry to hear of the diagnosis.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 25 Aug 2019, 10:42

the first thing I would do is ask for a second opinion just to make sure

which leg is it

I say this only because my friend's dog was wrongly diagnosed

I truly dont know the answer,

which pain meds is it?

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 25 Aug 2019, 13:22

Hello, Eryn, I am so sorry you are dealing with this diagnosis for your sweet girl. Please let us know how she does. We will keep you both in our hearts and prayer.

When Kolby bloated two years ago, they had to do GDV surgery to evacuate the gas and untwist the stomach. He came home on some pretty heavy meds for a week...tramadol and they were very effective. We did not do anything different with the enzymes. We gave them with his meals as normal.

Let us know how she is doing.

Barb

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 25 Aug 2019, 17:44

Maddie was on metcam what i found and i dont know why was that if she had it at night it didn't upset her stomach but in the morning it would make her poop a bit iffy ...EPi is secondary with what your gal is going through i would concentrate on that and worry about the EPI after...good luck and hugs i know what it feels like when you are dealing with cancer in a dog .
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

TerryBin
Staff

Post by TerryBin » 26 Aug 2019, 08:34

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. We have used pain meds (Tramadol mostly) with 2 of our dogs (one passed over the Rainbow Bridge in April) and we give it right after breakfast and before bed. Just our schedule. Don't think giving it with the meal would be an issue. We use pill pockets with Pharaoh and he will take the pills in the pill pocket. My thoughts are with you as you go through this last journey together.
Currently 2 Shiloh Shepherd Pups! Two Shilohs that passed over the Rainbow Bridge.
Taiko was born 6 September 2006 and had EPI; she passed over the Rainbow Bridge 10 April 2019 NOT EPI-related.
Pharaoh born 24 November 2007 and had EPI. He passed September 2020 NOT EPI-related.
Moku born 15 April 2014 and was dx with EPI in January 2019.
Hoshi born 6 July 2019 and does not have EPI
Taiko and Pharaoh were half siblings through their sire; their sire is Moku's grandfather through his Mom. Moku and Hoshi have the same sire.
Moku uses PancreaPlus tablets and receives weekly B12 shots at home.

Sparkle Tangerine
Pet name: Montgomery

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 26 Aug 2019, 17:34

Our veterinarian gave Montgomery a shot of beuprenorphine (sp?) which lasts three days. The first time he got it, he was looped. The second time she cut the dose down and he was much better. It had no ill effect on his digestion, though the shot is painful initially.
Montgomery was born 21 March 2012. He is a DSH orange tabby and white. Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food. He is a catnip junkie who loves paper bags and his stuffed mouse, Ignatz. His Pank-Aid is put into capsules each day as he gets mouth ulcers if it is mixed into his food. He gets two size zero capsules with each meal and eats six times each day. He gets .5ml Ovol twice a day for his gas. He is an enormous 3.08kg and strong enough to give his veterinarian a hard time. He is smart as a whip, has the loudest purr in the universe, and is so, so loved.

Estolooee
State: Colorado
Pet name: Rocksie
My name: Eryn

Post by Estolooee » 12 Sep 2019, 21:30

Thank you all so much for your insight and sweet comments! I've been giving Rocksie her pain meds after meals and she is responding really well ❤️

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Sep 2019, 22:23

Thank you for the update on Rocksie!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 Sep 2019, 15:58

Glad to hear she is responding well. She is lucky to have you. Sending hugs. We know what this is like......

Barb