My Nikki :(

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: My Nikki :(

Post by Barb » 25 Aug 2019, 13:03

Dear Michaela,

I so know how you feel. I wish I could do something to help. I am thinking of you and NIkki. Many of us have been through similar issues. It is never ever easy. What helped us with our Bridge GSD, Kip, (he had DM like Jean's Kara) was treasuring every day with him and expressing our love and gratitude to him as often as we could. He taught us a lot about how we could approach life in every area.

Sending you hugs and lots of love. Let us know how she does.

Barb

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 26 Aug 2019, 12:15

Barb: Thank you so much for your kind words.

We just got back from Nikki's regular vet and we caught it early, so that's the good news. They are also calling Texas A&M for us, so maybe we can avoid a trip for now (it's six hours round trip). They gave us instructions on how to keep the are clean and we are applying Protopic ointment once a day for now, unless Dermatology gives different instructions (they haven't called back yet). Should find out tomorrow.

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 26 Aug 2019, 12:51

Hi

my friends dog had the same ointment and it helped enormously

I think a juicy steak might help

keep in touch as it might help someone else

Jeanc
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 26 Aug 2019, 14:08

So glad you caught it early. It is always uplifting to get good news. It sounds like the ointment is really going to help. Please let us know how she does with it.

Barb

Wabasmom

Post by Wabasmom » 26 Aug 2019, 16:13

I’m so sorry your Nikki is going through this. My Jaeger is almost 11 years old. Was diagnosed with EPI 9 years ago. He suffered with Perianal Fistulas for a couple years but has been free of them for close to 7 years. He was also diagnosed with Lupus a few years ago.
We treated his PF’s with Cyclosporine for about a month and tapered off. He also has Tacrolimus .1% for his butt which we put on twice a day for maintenance after the PF’s went away...this is for life...but has done wonders to keep the PF’s at bay.
When they diagnosed him with Lupus he was put on other meds Doxycycline twice a day for life along with Niacin twice a day...he is on prednisone every other day and Azathioprine every other day opposite of the prednisone...these are for life too. We have added b12 recently too since he is getting older and was having other issues. So maybe ask about the cycsporine. It did wonders for my boys PF’s. He has been free of them for years

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 26 Aug 2019, 16:21

Alyssa I had forgotten that with Jaeger, thanks for chiming in

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Michaela

Post by Michaela » 26 Aug 2019, 17:02

Jean: Nikki would love a nice juicy steak...LOL!!! She could have all the steak she could eat if she didn't have food allergies too and beef is not allowed :(

We did get a response from Texas A&M and we don't have to make a trip right now.

They are adding a topical steroid cream once a day also. I will pick it up tomorrow and get the name.

Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Michaela

Post by Michaela » 26 Aug 2019, 17:38

Alyssa: Poor Jaeger and I thought we have it bad. My first GSD had Discoid Lupus.

I do know about the Cyclosporine and I'm glad Jaeger responded well. Nikki is a tough case when it comes to taking oral meds and they try not to give her anything that may make her nauseous or upset her stomach. She's on a ton of meds too and one of them is Apoquel which is a immunomodulator.

We've been having issues getting Nikki to eat for years, it was so bad that I had a home cooked diet formulated for her and she did eat that ok for six years. Then her IM wanted her to try a hypoallergenic diet for her stomach issues which she eventually refused and now she doesn't want to eat her pork tenderloin & sweet potatoes either, it's enough to pull your hair out. I feel that the smell of the enzymes puts her off and her stomach issues didn't help, she would get really sick and she may associates that with the food.

She goes back for a re-check in two weeks if things go well. I will keep everyone posted how the treatment is working for her.

Tylan for life

Wabasmom

Post by Wabasmom » 26 Aug 2019, 18:19

Yes Jaeger was on Apoquel too for food and grass allergies. But once he was getting treated for his Lupus his skin and ear issued resolved. He got sores on his feet and belly. But has been good for about a year on his Lupus meds.
I sure hope Nikki has better days soon

Michaela

Post by Michaela » 27 Aug 2019, 12:32

Alyssa: Nikki has been on Immunotherapy for years for her allergies but she gets really itchy still, especially in Spring/Summer so we use the Apoquel as needed. I'm not crazy about it but the Cytopoint stopped working for her :(

This may sound nuts but I would rather have another dog with EPI than allergies. My Heidi had allergies too and they are so frustrating to deal with.

Ok, here is the plan for the next two weeks:

Clean area twice a day with Chlorhexidine before applying her ointments.
Morning: MotaZol (Steroid)
Evening: Tacrolimus ointment

I also asked her vet to check with A&M to see if they know of any clinical trials that inlvove stem cell therapy for PF. I'll keep you guys posted.

Tylan for life