My Nikki :(

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: My Nikki :(

Post by Jean » 27 Aug 2019, 13:03

we are all nuts

my first Shep had severe arthritis and DM

Second, cancer

Third, EPI, intollerance to just about everything, metatarsal fistulas, and finally DM

AND WE GET THEM AGAIN

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 27 Aug 2019, 13:15

Glad to hear from you, Alyssa. I think Jaeger was diagnosed almost the same time as Kolby. You and he have had more than your share. He is lucky to have such loving care. Glad to hear he is doing well on meds.

Michaela, you might not be able to do this because of Nikki's allergies, but when Kolby went off his food this last time (he does it every so often and we keep making adjustments), but this time he just would not eat.... we finally ordered the canned version of the food he was eating (RC Prescription). I cannot believe the change in him. He gobbles it down and looks for more. He even puts his nose on the counter where the food incubates. I guess the canned version hides the enzyme smell.....even though it is the exact ingredients of the the kibble he wouldn't eat except for the water content.

Anyway, you might not be able to try this because of Nikki's other food allergies, but I just thought I would put it out there. We never know what is going to work.

Barb

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 27 Aug 2019, 13:20

Jean, LOL! You are so right. We are all nuts! But as my hubby just said this morning, "Hopefully, all of this helps us to become better people......if we don't go crazy first." :D

Barb

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 27 Aug 2019, 14:29

Barb, you are so right

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 29 Aug 2019, 09:59

Jean: My first GSD "Heidi" had: Bad hips, horrible allergies, Discoid Lupus and chronic pancreatitis but I figured she had all those issues because she came from a lady that just put two dogs together and didn't know much about breeding.

I thought I did my research with Nikki's breeder (he turned out to be a piece of work) but here we are again and this will be my last dog for a while. Have to take a break from all the heartbreak :(

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Michaela

Post by Michaela » 29 Aug 2019, 10:07

Barb: Nikki is eating the canned RC Duck & Potato, she won't even touch the kibble. I really feel she just associates food with not feeling well & pain after all the stomach issues she's had.

We have tried so many different things and none of them really worked: Parmesan cheese, tripe, feeding her on a plate, etc.

I did switch her enzymes to Pan-tenex and they do not have that chemical smell like the Viokase.

I had to take her back to the vet yesterday and he added Gabapentin for pain and Prednisone. Maybe the Pred will make her eat a little better. I also joined a PF group to learn what has worked for other dogs.

Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 29 Aug 2019, 15:09

Prednison does encourage eating

have you tried Ranitidine /Zantac 75 mg 30 mins before food, it helped Kara no end

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Michaela

Post by Michaela » 02 Sep 2019, 12:35

Jean: Yes we tried Pepcid and Prilosec I think (gave her diarrhea) but it didn't make a difference.

She is so hungry right now on the Pred that she is eating good. Her rear end is also doing good right now. I will give another update next week after her re-check.

Tylan for life

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Sep 2019, 12:37

Thank you for the update!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 02 Sep 2019, 13:03

its good she is eating

they do your head in

j

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx