fresh batch of enzymes

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

fresh batch of enzymes

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Aug 2019, 23:30

I just got a fresh batch of enzymes, and since they've been working so well, I ordered a large bag. I had the ice pack included, and met the mail truck at my box, so I don't see how they could have had heat exposure since they arrived in two days. The ice pack would have lasted 24 hours. Since I've started giving this new batch to Tucker, his poo is turning softer & yellowy, and he has a lot of gas. I know there is variation in the potency of the enzymes sometimes, but I wonder what I should do. Should I increase the dose? Feeling a little sad about this. Thanks---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: fresh batch of enzymes

Post by Jean » 28 Aug 2019, 05:29

are these Dianes

if so let me know, and I wil contact her, or you can
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Aug 2019, 05:41

YES. I emailed her. I added another paragraph; I have stopped the chicken broth, in case that was the problem. I never gave him much, maybe a tablespoon, and like I said, he eats chicken at every meal. ---Thank you, Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Aug 2019, 09:18

I forgot Pam are you treating Tucker for SID with Tylan or Metronidazole?

You haven't made any other subtle changes or tweaks?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Aug 2019, 17:46

Tucker also takes Tylan and Wonder Pets B12. He gets about 4 1/2 teaspoons of enzyme per day, with 4 1/2 cups of food. I contacted Diane, but her answer was about storage, which was a question I posed here, awhile back, not about the potency of the enzymes. I had enough of a sample pack to give him 8X twice today, and his afternoon poo from this morning's enzymes seemed a bit better. Now I've used those up. Should I increase the dose of these new 6X enzymes? I've got a boatload of them. Thank you, Pam

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Aug 2019, 18:02

The 8x enzymes are dosed at 3/4 teaspoon per cup of dry food.

The 6x enzymes are dosed at 1 teaspoon per 1 cup dry food.

If you were feeding 1 teaspoon of 8x per 1 cup dry food and your dog was doing well you will have to adjust up for the 6x potency.

Hope that makes sense.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Aug 2019, 18:42

Yeah, I've only had one sample pack of the 8X, and that's what I just used up. I only had enough for one day, and I jumped to it this morning to give his poo a reset. The rest of the time I've been using 6X. I had a sample pack, and a lot that Mary Ellen gave me when Junior passed. ---Pam

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Aug 2019, 18:47

I was serving 3/4 t per 1 c food of the 8X. If it's safe, and it sounds like it is, I'll just add more than 1 teaspoon of the 6X per cup of food. Do you think 25% more, for starters? Maybe this batch just wasn't as potent as the others.

D Sloan
State: Ohio

Post by D Sloan » 29 Aug 2019, 08:28

If changing from the 8x to the 6x you will want to start at 25% more. There were a few batches of 8x (and 6x) that were very strong for their standards but still fit in the ranges and I am not sure which one you are moving from and to. I would start with 25% more of the 6x and see how that goes. If you have the labels just shoot me an email and I will take a look at them as well.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Aug 2019, 15:43

Hi Diane---I'm sorry I've made this so confusing. I've used the 6X a LOT, and only one sample pack of the 8X. When I started this new bag of 6X, Tucker's poo became yellow & soft, so I used up the 8X I had left, which was only one day's worth, and I saw improvement. Can I safely give him 1 1/4 teaspoon of 6x enzymes per cup of food, in case this batch of 6X is for some reason weak? How high can I safely go? I do not feel that it was exposed to heat, since I ordered the ice pack, you got it to me in two days, and I picked it up directly from the mail truck. Thanks! Hurricane's coming here! Wish us luck!---Pam