Grain free

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Corgeze
State: Iowa

Grain free

Post by Corgeze » 11 Sep 2019, 13:30

I had posted awhile ago about grain free food and heart problems...I have been hearing more and more about the grain free and it scares me. Some vets are saying to get off of the grain free. What does a person do? My girl has been very stable since she was first diagnosed with epi. She also is a show dog and I am able to give her treats to show her with no problems. My question is should a person think about transferring back to grain inclusive food? I currently am on Fromm Salmon Tunellini grain free. Have thought about Purina Pro Plan. Curious on opinions.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Grain free

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Sep 2019, 14:12

Does your dog do ok with grains?

This is from our site:

https://epi4dogs.com/taurine-grainfree-diets/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Corgeze

Post by Corgeze » 11 Sep 2019, 14:20

I have not tried feeding grains much after being on grain free. However I do give her snacks as bait for showing her and she has no problems with them. I have started mixing a little grain inclusive food in her grain free for the last couple of days to see what happens and so far she is doing fine.

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 11 Sep 2019, 14:54

Nikki eats a grain free diet and I supplement with Taurine. https://www.monicasegal.com/wordpress/t ... y-in-dogs/

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Corgeze

Post by Corgeze » 11 Sep 2019, 15:58

A great article thank you. I have been told that supplementing with Taurine doesn't do any good. My current grain free has Taurine added but I assume its not enough. I will ask my vet this and see what he says. I do supplement with a sardine everyday to add some Taurine..don't know if that's enough or not. What grain free food do you feed? Also where do you get your Taurine from?

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 11 Sep 2019, 22:57

Nikki eats Royal Canin Duck & Potato right now. Before that she ate a home cooked, grain-free diet for six years formulated by Monica Segal, that included supplementing with Taurine among other vitamins/minerals.

The brand I use is "Pure Encapsulations" and a local pharmacy orders it for me. https://www.pureencapsulations.com/taurine-500mg.html

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 12 Sep 2019, 10:35

Hi there. If your EPI dog is stable on the current food I personally would not risk switching it to try and prevent a condition that your dog does not have - especially when there’s not enough research that’s been done regarding DCM. It’s not necessarily “grain free” that’s bad - it’s certain ingredients that can inhibit taurine absorption and inhibit amino acids involved with taurine. Olesia, our Founder and Director of Research had really gotten into the weeds on this as there’s much more to it that what social media and the FDA have put out there. We have a page on our website that addresses this issue. Bottom line however I would not add supplements without consulting your vet first.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 12 Sep 2019, 10:38

Here’s a link to our page on taurine and grain free. Also you have to remember grains can interfere with the efficacy of the enzymes - by how much we don’t know for sure and every Epi dog is different. Some can tolerate grains without adjusting enzymes- some can tolerate grains but need enzymes adjusted and some (probably most) can’t have grains at all.

https://epi4dogs.com/taurine-grainfree-diets/
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Corgeze

Post by Corgeze » 12 Sep 2019, 12:48

Thank you for the replies. My girl has been on Fromm Salmon Tunelini grain free for 3 years and has been very stable. She gets 3/4 tsp of enzymes with each meal. She has been very healthy and seems to thrive on her current food. I had just heard so much controversy that it was concerning me. This food has a little higher fiber and peas in it then some grain free but I haven't found anything that I think would be better for her. Her poops are great and I don't have any bad reactions so far. When she gets a little gassy sometimes I just give her slippery Elm and it does the trick. She gets a Wonderlabs B12 pill daily and does well with that. Never have had to use Tylan or anything else. I feel better from your replies and will just continue with her current routine.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Sep 2019, 12:50

Sounds like a plan. Keep us posted!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.