Older Shiloh Shepherd

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: Older Shiloh Shepherd

Post by Barb » 10 Oct 2019, 16:26

About the gas.....you might want to ask your vet about using Gas-X. Our dog bloated about two years ago due to a build up of gas (some dogs are more susceptible than others because they are deep chested....I will check to see if Shilohs are included) our vet recommended giving him Gas-X (yes, the one that people use) after his evening meal. Actually, she recommended it in the morning and evening, but Kolby seems to only need it in the evening.

Barb

AnubisofGuardian
Pet name: Anubis
My name: Rhonnie

Post by AnubisofGuardian » 11 Oct 2019, 13:38

He's had torsion in the past and has since had his stomach tacked to the abdominal wall to prevent it from occurring again. Every now and then though he seems to 'blow up' like a balloon and it takes hours to work out his system in the meantime he can't settle because of it. I just want to give him something that will help him recover faster or prevent it altogether. What kind of Gas-X and what's the dosage? I guess I could also Google it, I wonder if there's other types of things that would help as well. Thank you everyone!
Much Love and Light!

Rhonnie

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 11 Oct 2019, 14:10

Barb - thanks for posting about the Gas-X. I worry about bloat with Doc and I know from one x-ray we had done when I thought he had an obstruction the vet mentioned he could see the gas build up in him. I'm going to talk to my vet about giving it to Doc.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 11 Oct 2019, 14:13

With regard to pills - try cream cheese - put a little dab on your finger - let him sniff and lick it - then put the pill/s in a glob of cream cheese - for some reason this works with even the hardest to pill dogs - I think it sticks to the pill better so they can't spit it out and they seem to love the cream cheese.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 11 Oct 2019, 17:25

Kolby has had his stomach tacked also after the torsion. So his stomach will not twist, but he can still get the gas build up. We use Gas-X Extra Strength Simethicone 125 mg, 2 soft gels after dinner. Kolby weighs 82 pounds.

Our vet said her friend gave her dog 2 soft gels after breakfast and 2 after dinner, but we decided to do once a day and he seems OK with it.

Costco often runs specials on Gas-X.

Barb

AnubisofGuardian

Post by AnubisofGuardian » 21 Oct 2019, 13:03

I've tried everything to hide the pills the vet had given me in the past, Anubis is just too freaking smart for his own good! Cream cheese, regular cheese even raw ground beef and bacon; he will still refuse or throw it up a few minutes later. But the Gas-X really seems to help with the amount of gas that seems to build up, I will keep adding that to his food where he doesn't seem to notice it. The acupuncture is helping with his mobility but not so much with the incontinence so I put my relatively unused sewing skills to use and crafted him a sort of diaper, in the hopes that the removable compostable bag attached will collect most if not all the mess he might make. He doesn't seem to mind wearing it and he hasn't had an accident to date while wearing it either so that's a plus.
Attachments
Blue.jpg
Blue.jpg (403.03 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Much Love and Light!

Rhonnie

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Oct 2019, 13:41

Rhonnie, I am so glad the gasx is working. Love the picture and your ingenious diaper!

What food are you feeding?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 21 Oct 2019, 14:31

Rhonnie,

I am glad the Gas-X is helping. Everyone I've talked to about it or recommended it to seems to find success with it. Who knew ? Such a simple thing. Glad it is working for Anubis.

Barb

AnubisofGuardian

Post by AnubisofGuardian » 21 Oct 2019, 14:59

He's currently on First Mate Chicken with Blueberries

Ingredient List: Chicken Meal Burbank Potato Norkotah Potato Chicken Fat (Mixed Tocopherols) Whole Blueberries Potassium Chloride DL–Methionine Choline Chloride Calcium Propionate Minerals (Zinc Proteinate Iron Proteinate Manganese Proteinate Copper Proteinate Iodine Cobalt Carbonate Selenium Yeast) Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement Riboflavin Niacin D-pantothenic Acid Thiamine hydrochloride Vitamin A Supplement Pyridoxine Hydrochloride Biotin Folic Acid Vitamin B12 Supplement Vitamin D3 Supplement) Yeast Extract Glucosamine Hydrochloride

Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 25% Ash (max) 7%
Crude Fat (min) 14% Calcium (min) 1.5%
Crude Fibre (max) 4% Phosphorous (min) 0.9%
Moisture (max) 10% Glucosamine (min) 100mg/kg
Magnesium (max) 0.08% Calcium / Phosphorous ratio 1.7:1
ME: 3465 kcal/ kg | 537 kcal/cup
Much Love and Light!

Rhonnie

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Oct 2019, 18:11

Thank you. I was looking for gas producing ingredients but don't see much unless the chicken meal is not setting well.
Thanks
Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.