Happy and me ( new ones here) looking for advices

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
adriannemary91
Pet name: HAPPY
My name: Maria

Re: Happy and me ( new ones here) looking for advices

Post by adriannemary91 » 18 Oct 2019, 13:13

Hello!!
how are you!

We have Good news.

Happy is doing it very well with 2 creon before food. 3 times per day.

We have a very perfects poops. So we are incredible happy for that.
The blood analysis is better every week.

The liver still with high enzimes ( very very hight)We will repeat the ultrasound scan. But the vets thinks thats posible because one of the vets we visited before ( we visited 8 vets, and no one knew what was happening her) gaves Happy corticoesteroids.
Do you know anything about the corticoesteroids effects on the liver?

Thank you all!

Love, Happy and Maria
Happy is a two and a half year old dog and has been diagnosed with EPI 2 on September 2019.

TLI= 1.19

Hills prescription diet i/d - 2 creon 10.000 per meal - Hidroxil B12 1 pill per day - probiotic 1 fortiflora ( royan cannin) per day.

Lowest weight 4,700 kg
Current weight : 6,800 kg

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 18 Oct 2019, 14:43

Hello, Maria! So glad to hear that Happy is doing so well. That is wonderful news. You must be as happy as she is.

Yes, the steroids can elevate the liver enzymes.....I'm sure they will be keeping an eye on them. It sounds like this vet is a keeper.

Barb

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Oct 2019, 14:51

Nice update on Happy! Thank you Maria.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

adriannemary91

Happy is doing worse

Post by adriannemary91 » 21 Oct 2019, 03:49

Hello everybody!

Bad news today...

The tummy rumbling were back a few days ago. (Thursday...) some days were harder and other less, but they were there... and today.... smoothie poop again!

She was doing so good the last weeks. I dont know what could it be wrong. Maybe SIBO? She wasnt had sibo, but it is possible ?

is she needing more creon? she was doing well with 2 creon in the meals....

Im feeling devasted

Thank you
Happy is a two and a half year old dog and has been diagnosed with EPI 2 on September 2019.

TLI= 1.19

Hills prescription diet i/d - 2 creon 10.000 per meal - Hidroxil B12 1 pill per day - probiotic 1 fortiflora ( royan cannin) per day.

Lowest weight 4,700 kg

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Oct 2019, 08:33

Hi Maria,
So sorry to hear Happy has bad poops. The tummy rumbling and bad poops sound like SID to me. Can you call your vet and see if he can get Tylan for you?

I don't recognize the B12 you are giving. Is it shots or an oral pill?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

adriannemary91

Post by adriannemary91 » 21 Oct 2019, 10:58

Hello Jill
Thanks for your fast answer,

I spoke to the vet this morning, In spain its difficult to get tylan. Looks like the vets doesnt use it in dogs ( in chicken, pigs and cows yes)

My vet is looking for tylan... but, we are going to start with another antibiotic. ( in spain is: SEPTRIM pediatric - trimetoprima/sulfametoxazol) Hope it will works.
The b12 are oral pills. She was doing well with this ones, the last time, the b12 was very hight (1200)

B12 PILLS

ANTIBIOTIC

TLI= 1.19

Lowest weight 4,700 kg

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Oct 2019, 11:50

Thank you Maria for the information. The tylan we use here is for birds, pigs etc... too so tell your vet that is the right one. The granule powder. I am sending you information in a link for you and your vet.

https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-management/

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

This link describes the tylan and shows a picture of what you need in a bottle. Please know if you can find it most folks put the 2 times a day dose in empty gel capsules as it is very bitter.

Jill

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 21 Oct 2019, 14:42

I agree it sounds like SID/SIBO rearing its head. Hopefully the antibiotic will help. If you do use tylan, make sure you don't touch your eyes while you are handling it......it will sting.... just wash your hands after touching it.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 22 Oct 2019, 11:04

Hi Maria. Yes it could be SID/SIBO and yes the Tylan we recommend states it's for pigs, chickens it's just that the FDA here has not approved it for use in dogs and cats - we still have a hard time getting some veterinarians here in the States to prescribe it because of that. Please print off the information from our pages Jill put the link to and share it with your veterinarian and be sure to get the same thing. In the meantime, if you can get some Slippery Elm Bark Powder - not capsules but powder give that a try. There has been a study that showed Slippery Elm worked better than antibiotics with some dogs and many of us EPI owners use it every day. It's a natural pre-biotic mucilage that coats the GI tract. Here's a link to our page with information about it . https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/ - just be sure to mix it with a tablespoon or two of water and put on top of the food.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

adriannemary91

Post by adriannemary91 » 28 Oct 2019, 08:37

hi!!

I am reporting again

So the actual antibiotic is not working on happy very well, so the vet and I are starting looking for tylan...

Do you know what could be the tylan ammount for Happy? She is 6 kg now... But im not sure about the dosis and its complicated made the conversion for me...

Any idea?

Thank you all!

Happy sends lots of Looooove

TLI= 1.19

Lowest weight 4,700 kg