Ugh... Poop Eating....

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
kimmyb
State: California

Ugh... Poop Eating....

Post by kimmyb » 29 Oct 2019, 14:05

HI all! It's been awhile since my last post but you all helped me more than words can say. My Gus was diagnosed back in February and we have spent a lot of time getting this right. He is on Dianes enzymes, grain free food and wonderlab B-12. He put back on weight and is a healthy happy guy. He still has the occasional cow pie poop (every week or so) but for the most part stools are solid.

One BIG problem remains... he is OBSESSED with eating his and his brothers poop. If I turn my back for even a second he has a mouthful (sorry I know this topic is disgusting!) I am at my wits end! I try to clean up after them quickly but we have a very large yard and he has to be left alone sometimes when I cant be there to pick it up.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I see lots of advice online for typical dogs to add things that make it taste bad but I'm worried with my EPI guy that would cause major tummy problems.

Help??
We are from San Diego, California. Our chocolate lab mixed breed (father unknown) GUS was born June 5, 2018. At 8 months on February 22, 2019 he was diagnosed with EPI (LPI .5, Cobalamin 785, Folate 13.9).

We are still feeding Kahoots Grain Free Wild Caught Salmon with 1 tsp of Pancreazyme Enzymes per feeding.... planning to try Enzyme Diane 8x once we use up the prescription powder from the vet.

Trying to learn as we go! Gus also has his brother/best friend Louie the English Bulldog who doesn't like to be left out so he's in the picture too :lol:

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Ugh... Poop Eating....

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Oct 2019, 14:10

Is there any undigested food ever in either dogs poop?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

kimmyb
State: California

Post by kimmyb » 29 Oct 2019, 14:13

I don't think so but seems possible? Gus (EPI dog) has pretty soft stools in general sometimes more mustard colored. Louie (non EPI) has just regular old dog poop.

Now that you mention it though we have a neighbor dog that poops in our yard sometimes and he's never attracted to that just him and his brothers- non discrimatory towards any of those.
We are from San Diego, California. Our chocolate lab mixed breed (father unknown) GUS was born June 5, 2018. At 8 months on February 22, 2019 he was diagnosed with EPI (LPI .5, Cobalamin 785, Folate 13.9).

We are still feeding Kahoots Grain Free Wild Caught Salmon with 1 tsp of Pancreazyme Enzymes per feeding.... planning to try Enzyme Diane 8x once we use up the prescription powder from the vet.

Trying to learn as we go! Gus also has his brother/best friend Louie the English Bulldog who doesn't like to be left out so he's in the picture too :lol:

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Oct 2019, 14:34

I would go out with him and make sure there isn't bits of food in the poop. If there is not, I am not sure what you do. Our kids normal lab is 6 she eats poop.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 29 Oct 2019, 16:30

It is weird how some dogs are drawn to eating poo.....We had a non-EPI German Shepherd for thirteen years who always wanted to eat it......... and now Kolby (EPI) who never tries to eat poop. It is perplexing......

Barb

Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Post by Sadie'sMom » 31 Oct 2019, 11:12

We have had this issue too. We have been told 2 different things by 2 different vets. First vet said it was a sign of a nutritional deficiency and gave us some powder to put on her food (this was 20 years ago - Cocker Spaniel - no clue what the powder was). When Sadie first got sick, she started to eat poo too. The vet said that it is normal. That dogs derive from wolves and wolves always ate their poo to cover their tracks and keep their pack safe. He said Sadie was likely doing the same thing. Thankfully, once we got her EPI under control, she has not eaten any poo. She actually takes a quick whiff and turns away - like it disgusts her.

Not much help - but just thought I would tell you what we were told.

Good luck!

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 01 Nov 2019, 20:21

Tucker's poop eating was the thing that started me on my journey to EPI. I will never trust him 100%, but for the most part he leaves it alone, now that he is improving. I am as fastidious as I can be, picking it all up (four dogs), but sometimes I miss a bit. My yard is not as big as yours, but I have a lot of foliage where it can hide, and I do find piles he has left alone. So, I just want you to know that I feel your pain, but I am confused about the weekly cow patty, because we haven't experienced that. I wonder if that could have something to do with your pup's drive to still eat poo. Also, is there anything green in the yard that he eats? Maybe too much fiber on occasion? Thinking of you guys---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.