How much B 12?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Pattib
State: Florida
Pet name: Tinkerbell
My name: Patti Blitz

How much B 12?

Post by Pattib » 09 Nov 2019, 20:41

Hi guys, My 10 lb Tinkerbell is currently getting B-12 injections every week for the past 5 weeks. The Vet said to go to once a month after 6 weeks. But her level was so low <150 on the TLI test and I read 600 is a good level. Is that blood test the only way to know if she is on track? So expensive! And also if I use pills instead of injections, how will I know the dose and if it’s enough. BTW, mouth sores are all gone now thanks to your suggestions. You guys have been wonderful.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: How much B 12?

Post by Jean » 10 Nov 2019, 03:58

Firstly congratulations on the mouth sores going away, our suggestions are great but, its you that has done the work

I can only go back in time, Karas b12 was lower than this, the 8-2 hr food fasted blood test for cobalamin ( b12) is the only test known at the moment , and yes , its expensive, I remember my husband Derek coming home with Kara after her tests, throwing his credit card on the table, and saying, well its beans on toast for a few weeks !

It never happened,, you just get a shock, she was insured but its not the point

We never got her retested, we could tell when her levels were,low, she became silly, reactive, and pathetic, she had one injection a month all of her life, and two b12 capsules a day all of her life, she could never hold her levels

Kara was 90 pounds in weight so I would maybe say 1 a day for a few weeks and then every other day, b12 is eliminated by the body if not used, just keep a diary on any changes

If there is anything else, ask away

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 10 Nov 2019, 09:28

Hi Patti. So glad the mouth sores are gone. I don't recommend waiting a month for another shot as we see too many pups having set backs during that time. I would go ahead and switch to the WonderLabs Pet Factor pills. The trick with B12 is finding the right dose for your dog. Some like my big boy need 2 pills a day while others can get 1 pill 3x a week or even 1 pill once a week. The test is the only "true" way to know what the B12 levels are - that being said you should be able to tell by symptoms - lethargic, weight loss, mood change, loss of appetite, etc. I had his tested once after diagnosis but that was 4 1/2 yrs ago. So as long as you are continuing to see weight gain or have already reached the right weight, poops are good, appetite and mood are good I would go with the dosing recommendation on the WonderLabs bottle an then you can "tweak" from there.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

ColtAn2
Pet name: Strela
My name: Olivier

Post by ColtAn2 » 27 Nov 2019, 09:22

And then there's another factor: B12 pills are of the same size and contain the same amount, but a pug and a Caucasian shepherd won't need the same doses. So, it's to be calculated on empirical evidence and vet's advice for each dog...

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 27 Nov 2019, 11:50

good point , but they will excrete any wasted b12 out through urine
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 09 Dec 2019, 13:56

Hi Patti. I just realized your dog weighs only 10lbs. Here is a link to the dosing instructions for B12 https://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/research/ ... on/#dosing

So if using the WonderLabs pills (contains 1000ug) I would start with 1/4 of the pill.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.