One smelly little dog!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bruinwar
State: Michigan

One smelly little dog!

Post by Bruinwar » 01 Dec 2019, 11:08

Hello all,

First let me thank everyone here who helped us from the beginning. Our Pug Shadow is doing well. She appears to be symptom free, poops are perfect (ha!) & according to the vet, is at a perfect weight (seems a bit skinny to me). She is in great shape, keeps up with the big dogs at the park, & can handle long walks even in the hot weather. In all appearances, she is more healthy than ever. It's been a while since I posted here & if nothing else, I wanted to give this update. Specially since she is doing so well.

One problem... the smell. I know we've discussed "the smell" here on multiple occasions & there are a few theories but nothing concrete & no treatment for it. I'm just posting today to see if anything new has come up about the problem. Bathing works for a few hours, most of a day maybe, then it's back. My wife with the sensitive nose, says the stink does not come from her body but from her mouth. Personally I can't tell, but then I don't sniff her up close like the wife does.

Any news on the EPI fragrance?

Thanks,
Joe S.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: One smelly little dog!

Post by jilbert57 » 01 Dec 2019, 11:44

Hi Joe and thanks for the great update!

Only a couple things I can think might help. Brushing the teeth with a vet approved toothpaste, adding a breath additive to the water, and going to Creon for enzyme. However since things are going so well I would really hesitate to change enzymes. Maybe you use Creon already.

I am not aware of any new findings to help the smell.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Bruinwar
State: Michigan

Post by Bruinwar » 01 Dec 2019, 19:24

Hi Jill,

We are using Diane's Enzymes & are happy with the product mainly because Shad is doing so well.
We will try using a breath additive in her water. The toothpaste thing might be difficult so let's see how the breath additive works.

Thank you very much for your reply,
Joe

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 02 Dec 2019, 23:14

Hello, Joe,

Thanks for the great update on Shadow! It is always so good to hear that a pup is doing so well. We all remember the beginning stages and how stressful they were, so hearing that pups are thriving gladdens our hearts!

Sorry I can't help you with the "fragrance" issue. I know you won't want to hear this, but Kolby never had an odor. It does seem odd that some dogs exhibit the "odor of sanctity" and others don't.

Keep the good news coming.

Barb

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 07 Dec 2019, 07:44

Tucker's breath sometimes smells like dirty tennis shoes, but I have found marinating his food an extra few minutes sometimes helps. I am not certain this is the case, but it does seem that way. I am nose-sensitive, too, but so happy with his health being good, it doesn't bother me. Again, burn some Yankee candles for the holidays!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Dec 2019, 22:49

Hi. I agree - if its from the mouth you might try some brushing or additives to the water. I don't think it's EPI related. I'm the world's worst as I don't brush my dog's teeth - they won't tolerate it and I have to pick my battles LOL
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.