EPI and mood/aggression

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Nedlands
State: New York
Pet name: Titan
My name: Neal

EPI and mood/aggression

Post by Nedlands » 02 Dec 2019, 00:20

First of all hello. I have been coping with EPI for the past 4 years since my GSD, Titan was diagnosed. He has always been a little aggressive/edgy but recently this has worsened. I am at my wits end but it was suggested that low B12 levels could be at the root of this. I have not had a blood test done to confirm levels and had been giving him shots although not 100% on schedule. I have ordered some Wonder B12 and hopefully can get him back on track.
What is the group experience of aggression/behavior change with EPI and success stories in resolving. I really am hoping for positive inputs as the other long term alternatives may not be rosey for my boy.

Ruby
State: Florida

Re: EPI and mood/aggression

Post by Ruby » 02 Dec 2019, 00:49

Hi,

I have always kept my dog (collie size) on B12 with intrinsic factor from Wonderlab. I give it to her placed in her food at each meal . That would be 2 times a day. Since that is when I feed her. It works great. I have never given her shots. I have been doing this for almost 9 years and never had a problem kept her level up all the time. Didn't have to worry and her personality has stayed the same all these years. Please consider doing this for your dog ...then you won't have to worry about shots and everything involved. The B12 capsules are cheap, delivered quickly and easy to use. This may be an easy solution to your dogs problem....The B12 has to be kept up over the 600 mark to help your epi dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 02 Dec 2019, 05:13

Hi there and welcome from the UK

What sort of aggression are you describing ?

My Kara could become very reactive to other dogs and was very prey driven

we gave one b12 with the intirinsic factor twice daily and had one b12 injection monthly

maybe with a bit more info we can look at this

thank you for sharing Ruby

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Nedlands

Post by Nedlands » 02 Dec 2019, 09:45

Hi Jean,
He has exhibited aggression towards people who get too close to him. Definitely does not like trips to the vet and pretty much only I can handle him at home. It is mostly " leave me alone" fear aggression
Neal

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 02 Dec 2019, 22:59

We also give Wonderlabs B12 with Intrinsic Factor to our German Shepherd, Kolby. One pill with the morning meal and one in the evening. It made an enormous difference in his appetite and weight gain when he was first diagnosed. I highly recommend these pills.

Before diagnosis, as a year-old pup, many years ago, Kolby was in a class at Petsmart for socialization and basic training and was doing very well. However, he started to be reactive to a dog beside him in the circle. We didn't know at the time that he had EPI until he started to exhibit symptoms of loose stools and weight loss around the time we attended the third class. We had to drop out of the classes until he stabilized. We began to notice that he was reactive at times toward neighborhood dogs. It seemed like fear aggression because at the same time he started to be afraid of getting into the car, which he had previously loved. Once he started treatment, the fear of the car disappeared, but the fear of other dogs did not. Fortunately, we can cross the street when we walk and avoid any conflicts. But you have a harder task ....it's hard to avoid people.

I would definitely check Titan's B12 and consider giving him the Wonderlabs. Low B12 can have a whole host of symptoms. I would also consider getting a trainer who specializes in dog aggression to observe him and give you suggestions or advice as to what you can do to curb his behavior. Let us know how he does.

Barb

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 03 Dec 2019, 04:29

i really feel for you

Kara was the opposite with people, sheer exuberance, you might want to watch Victoria Stillwell shows on TV she is very good with issues

ok, my last GSD didnt like people coming near to him unless he knew them, and touching me was a definite no no, very protective, what breed is he?

have you done any training with him ? and did you have him from a puppy ? was he difficult as a puppy ?

my vets have always advocated low proteins for difficult dogs as it makes them over excited, and uncontrolable, much like children taking too many e additaves with their foods

will he not tolerate your family ?

give us some scenario's

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Post by Sadie'sMom » 03 Dec 2019, 07:31

Hi Nedlands:

My 2 cents here. Our Sadie was the same way - started getting aggressive out of the blue and this is the dog who has more fear than aggression. Then we got her EPI diagnosis. Got her on Wonderlabs B12 capsules twice a day (opened up and sprinkled on food with enzymes). Within a few weeks - her B12 was back to normal (it was extremely low) and she is a new dog. Zero aggression --- actually she is like a hyperactive dog bouncing off the walls happy --- which we love.

Best of luck.

Lisa & Sadie
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 03 Dec 2019, 08:45

thanks for your input Lisa

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Post by Sadie'sMom » 03 Dec 2019, 09:01

Hi Jean:

I know I always appreciate hearing from others what works for them. Just helping a bit if I can.

Thank you.

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Nedlands

Post by Nedlands » 03 Dec 2019, 09:52

Jean wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 04:29 i really feel for you

Kara was the opposite with people, sheer exuberance, you might want to watch Victoria Stillwell shows on TV she is very good with issues

ok, my last GSD didnt like people coming near to him unless he knew them, and touching me was a definite no no, very protective, what breed is he?

have you done any training with him ? and did you have him from a puppy ? was he difficult as a puppy ?

my vets have always advocated low proteins for difficult dogs as it makes them over excited, and uncontrolable, much like children taking too many e additaves with their foods

will he not tolerate your family ?

give us some scenario's
Jean,
I have had Titan since he was 8 weeks old. He did his AKC Star Puppy class and I also did some more specialized training about 18 months ago for his aggressive behavior. It really looked like fear aggression but now I am starting to think that there is a medical reason or at least partially.
His aggression manifested around the time he started getting sick. My vet diagnosed a giardia infection at first and gave him antibiotics. With hindsight it was the start of EPI and it took another year to get a proper diagnosis and him onto enzymes. His weight is good but I really am concerned about his B12. I am going to go to a different vet as the current one is advocating euthanizing him.
Thanks for the support and inputs. This is very stressful for all of us.