EPI and mood/aggression

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: EPI and mood/aggression

Post by Barb » 03 Dec 2019, 19:15

Oh wow! No wonder you are stressed. That is a pretty drastic recommendation from your vet.
It must be very upsetting for your family.

You can start the B12 right away. As Lisa said about her pup, Sadie, it turned her around. It can't hurt. And low B12 can cause all sorts of problems.

I used to watch Victoria Stillwell on TV and loved her. We used some of her techniques with Kolby. He definitely improved and looking back, I think he would have really benefited from having a good trainer work with him. Did Titan improve with the training he had? Or was it interrupted by the EPI diagnosis?

Barb

Nedlands
State: New York
Pet name: Titan
My name: Neal

Post by Nedlands » 03 Dec 2019, 21:53

Barb,
Titan's training certainly helped in some ways. His health has always however impacted his mood and ability to get up close to people. I am really hoping that getting his B12 levels up is going to help.
There are a couple of videos of Titan on You-Tube. We trained with America's Canine Educator
Neal

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

The Re: EPI and mood/aggression

Post by Jean » 04 Dec 2019, 04:10

The words I would like to use for the vet cant be put on the forum

Victoria is originally from the UK, and has an amazing reputation, she will not tolerate any nonsense and will not have any draconian way practiced

Kai was always a protector, he didn't have any ilnesses at all, just an alpha male, so we had to make him lower down fhe family, so he wasnt allowed in the bedroom, wasnt allowed to be with you at meal times, he was made to sit somewhere where he could see us, but not join in

This regime worked for us, he wasnt allowed to meet people at the door,, we had stooge people to knock at the door and Kai was removed gently away and then alowed to meet from a distance

Try a house lead, made if tape or whtever and then you don t have to touch his collar, that is classed as agressive to a dog , it was a turning point in our house

Can you take him for a walk, and will he tollerate other dogs

So as far as behaviour and illness

I was in hospital with a lady a few years ago who was taking Creon a drug used cor EPI in dogs in parts of the world,

I asked her what she was taking it for , EPI was the answer, crazy, we had many conversations regarding this

she described the pain in her belly as the worst period pain ever, and that is bad

so she made sure she took antibiotics every day to make sure small intestinal bacterial overgrowth ,SIBO, sometimes referred to as SID small intestianal dysbiosis

SO my next question is does he have tummy rumbles ? you can magine, if they are in pain they dont want anyone near them

Tylan is the antibiotic used here on the forum,

as for b12 , give it a huge go, if there is SIBO then the b12 in the body, if there is any, will deplete

i would give 2 capsules twice daily and keep record, Kara became very fractious if her levels were low

sorry about all of this

Jeanx
\
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Nedlands

Post by Nedlands » 04 Dec 2019, 10:38

Hi Jean,
Titan does have a rumbling belly and also he burps quite often.

Right now I have him on Tylan with his food (It was a major effort to get that from my vet). I am also going to try him with a lower fibre food - probably Victor rather than the Earthborn I have him on (3.8% vs 5%). I am waiting on the Wonderlabs B12 to arrive - unfortunately we got around 2 ft of snow here on Monday so shipments are somewhat delayed. It is all starting to make sense now and it just shows what a vicious circle this horrible disease is. He has started not wanting to sleep at night when I put him in his crate and I can only assume that he is in pain from his stomach.

Neal

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 04 Dec 2019, 10:48

A warm hot water bottle might help

How heavy is Titan and what dose of tylan are you giving and how often

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Nedlands

Post by Nedlands » 04 Dec 2019, 12:20

He was weighed at the vets 2 weeks ago at 97lbs. He is not eating well right now and I am putting that down to him not feeling well. I may try him with Chicken and Rice to get at least something into him. I also gave him a B12 shot today to try to boost that until I can get the Wonderlabs B12. The Tylan the vet gave me doesn't have any dosage on the bottle. Just Tylan # 2. I am putting 1 capsule in his meal but since he is not eating it is a moot point.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 04 Dec 2019, 13:13

So us the tylan powder

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Nedlands

Post by Nedlands » 04 Dec 2019, 13:20

The Tylan i got from the vet is powder, but in the little clear capsules. I have been popping the capsule open and adding it to his food. What dose are you suggesting per meal?

I can hopefully buy bulk Tylan online.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 04 Dec 2019, 14:21

What would a capsule measure in a teaspoon

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Dec 2019, 17:47

Hi Neal, here is the link for tylan dosage, and it is given 2 times a day.

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

Also please beware that Victor is one of the companies that has added peas, pea fiber, garbanzo beans, legumes in lieu of meat. If you go with Victor please see if any grain free have the above ingredients 5th or more in the list.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.