New member: Daisy's story

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: New member: Daisy's story

Post by Jean » 30 Dec 2019, 07:08

hello Faye, and welcome from the UK

sorry to be late here, dislocated ankle and 10 days in hospital !

I well remember the fear in 2010 when my Kara became ill, I had a cat with EPI in the 80's and you do not forget the smell

so vets, my vet was on holiday so a young one told me she was too young, and that cats never get it !

I demanded the test and it was positive <1

she at her lowest was 39 pounds in weight, but we started on enzymes and Royal Canin, poo just poured out

joined this site and never looked back

Tylan and grain free, she couldnt tollerate chicken or poultry fat, so lamb was her kibble for life

i dont think Canidae is prescription , and is widely used

this might interest you

https://www.pawdiet.com/ingredients/can ... ts-review/

never considered Fulvic Acid

https://sarahjanefarrell.com/2018/01/12 ... pets-diet/

you are really at the start of your journey with EPI , and the golden rule, is keep it simple, dont add anything other than food, enzymes, antibiotics if necessary, and b12 which is essential to digestion for an EPI dog

keep a journal and record everything

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

faye grimm
State: Oregon
Pet name: Daisy
My name: faye

Post by faye grimm » 30 Dec 2019, 09:55

Hello Jean, nice to meet you.

i am so glad this site is used internationally.

Sorry about your down time, it's no fun. I hope you are feeling better now and getting around at home.
I'll assume you have a partner or a trusted care taker for your beloved Kara.
I am a single senior and have scenarios run through my mind about something happening to me and who would care for Daisy properly in my absence. I am definitely thinking of whom I could go to to make an arrangement with.

so far Daisy seems to be doing well on organic burger and Flora4 fish kibble.. I think the non GMO aspect is very important but I have to find a cheaper source of meat. I may have to lower her meat content some but for now she seems to have put on a little weight.

I appreciate the links. Especially the one about fulvic minerals. I will continue taking everyone's advice about keeping it simple but some of the things I would like to consider as we go along, after she stabilizes, is the fulvic acid. I also believe in phyto greens but will hold off for now.

I could not afford the SID/DX (did I get that correct?) when I had the EPI test done and am planning on having that done next week.
I sort of ran out of money this month figuring out what was wrong with her. and until now, feeding her 7 times a day, We are down to 4-5 meals now but still, I have already gone through a fair amount of the Pan-tenex enzymes. So I will be buying 2 when my next check SS arrives. I do not want to run out as I did when I bought the one from the vet who did the test. Hopefully we will get to a place soon where 2, even 3 meals a day keeps daisy feeling well fed.

I am somewhat appalled that none of the vets I spoke with thought of EPI considering her symptoms were classic, sudden weight loss and spot-on typical poo. She showed no other symptoms such as vomiting or anything else except for a constant hunger. I knew she was not digesting her food but did not know about EPI, what it was let alone dogs could get it. These vets should have suspected this right away. I shudder at the thought of how many dogs are never or misdiagnosed and suffer. And it is so sad this information is not better known publicly.

When my favorite local morning talk show host gets back from holiday vacation I will be calling in to talk about awareness of epI as a disease that can effect people's pets. One of their sponsor ads is an awareness of EpI for people so I think he will find this interesting. I bet he would be open to having an scheduled phone interview with someone (from this site? :) ) who knows enough about this to discuss it on his show. He is a really nice man, a cat lover, and is very open to topics like this. I know him too.

Well, I hope you are doing better on your ankle.

thank you for reaching out to me.
Happy New Year
faye
Daisy and I live in rural southern Oregon. In June of 2013 I saw someone selling 5 week old puppies from a van and I swear I was "only looking" when Daisy's head popped up from the back of the box and she jumped across her liter mates straight to me, got up on her hind legs and started licking my face.
She had just chosen me. The guy wanted $100 a pup. I told him I only had $50. He said no way.
I replied, "This is my dog now. Take it or leave it. But she is coming home with me."
So I gave the man his $50 and we have been joined at the hip every since ...

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 30 Dec 2019, 15:57

we are totally international

when I started in 2010 it was mainly USA and one in Australia, Craig, who has become our IT person and website guru, and my beloved friend

now its every country in the world, and we embrace everything

I take my responsibilities as forum director very seriously

people are terrified at the start, and it is our mission to go where no person has gone before

EPI

it's one of those no one has heard of and is crap

and we go forward, and take heed of experience

and, we get there, and I love everyone, and encourage people to contact me personally

this is a family albeit international, I have personally mde very close friends and had holidays with some, and all because of a dog

my Kara was not my heart dog, but my beloved friend, and my Husband Derek adored her

our team is second to none, we are all volunteers for the cause, and it is vital to my heart

I lost the love of my life, Kara in May this year to DM, forgive me for saying this, but this is a shit situation, EPI is easy

My Derek husband was, and is, my rock

all I can say is to try Dianes enzymes

https://enzymediane.com/

Di is one of our members, and Sarge was her EPI dog

love J
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 30 Dec 2019, 16:36

Faye, I am sending you a private message with a link I think you'll like.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 30 Dec 2019, 16:56

Faye, I sent you a link in a message. The information that I think you'll be interested in starts a little after the 8 minute mark. The entire video is amazing, though. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 30 Dec 2019, 17:07

Faye! I was just the recipient of a free bottle of pancreatin 1300 & an opened bottle of PancrePlus. I use Diane's enzymes, so will you let me send these to you? PM me your address, and I'll do it.---Pam Sorry for all the replies; I keep reading & thinking!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 30 Dec 2019, 23:04

Hi again Faye. I am so sorry it took your vets so long to get the diagnosis. Unfortunately we hear this all too often, which is one of the main reasons this organization was started so many years ago - to educate veterinarians and pet owners. It seems although EPI is becoming a tad bit more talked about, in veterinarian schools they are given a VERY SMALL amount of information on EPI as it is not as common as other dog conditions. I was lucky because my boy was a German Shepherd, my vet although she had never treated an EPI dog, was aware of the symptoms and thought it to be a German Shepherd issue so he was tested at 3mos old - it was negative then - just a bad case of SID - but then when he began losing weight she insisted on testing him again at 13mos old and BAM - he was positive for EPI. Since then my vet has been my partner in caring for Doc and has learned along with me how to best properly manage his EPI.

It sounds like you are an amazing mom to your pup and are doing all you can to ensure your sweetie has the best of everything. This condition is definitely overwhelming in the beginning with new medical terms, keeping logs, medications, etc just be sure to remember to take time for yourself and breathe. I too worry about who will take care of my boy if something were to happen, my hubby is great but he has no clue how to manage Doc's EPI.

Please keep us posted - it takes a village to care for these pups and we have the most amazing village of caring EPI owners.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

faye grimm

Post by faye grimm » 31 Dec 2019, 00:25

yes, this site is amazing and EVERYONE I HAVE MET IS WONDERFUL
I have been telling people about it.
Daisy and I live in rural southern Oregon. In June of 2013 I saw someone selling 5 week old puppies from a van and I swear I was "only looking" when Daisy's head popped up from the back of the box and she jumped across her liter mates straight to me, got up on her hind legs and started licking my face.
She had just chosen me. The guy wanted $100 a pup. I told him I only had $50. He said no way.
I replied, "This is my dog now. Take it or leave it. But she is coming home with me."

faye grimm

Post by faye grimm » 02 Jan 2020, 15:19

Hello and Happy New Year everyone.

I am trying to arrange a blood draw for Daisy's SID B12 and Folate test .. I seem to remember SID/?? but can't relocate the reference and want to know exactly what to ask for. What was on the other side of that slash /

Some of you may recall I was unable to have that done when I finally got the EPI test.

Since she's been on the enzymes she has gone down from 7 to 4-5 meals a day, a couple of them are not even a whole cup.
She seems satisfied. I can no longer see the knobs of her spine nor are her ribs distinct!
SO YAY! She is gaining.

Although her poop is still yellow it is might be less pale, is more formed (no more blobs or cow patties) and yesterday one was fairly solid with the stick test. Today it was formed but softer; I can't get out to see them all so that is my best observation for right now.

Anyhow, that is all I have to report at this time.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Jan 2020, 23:10

The 3 tests are Tli, folate and B12. Your pup had the Tli if diagnosed with EPI.
Glad the poops have gotten less per day.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.