Yellow firm poo

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Garyalanlane
Pet name: Max
My name: Gary

Yellow firm poo

Post by Garyalanlane » 14 Jan 2020, 08:27

Our Max's(an India Pariah dog mix) stools are now pretty much formed but are still yellow although this has been a huge step forward from cow patties. He had his first of 6 B12 vitamin injections. Before we could only get human grade B12 tablets without intrinsic factor. He’s also 2 weeks into antibiotic treatment for SIBO. However he is not gaining any weight although he has now stabilised. We changed his diet from cooked lean beef, rice, lentils, spinach, carrot and pumpkin and are now feeding 150% pre made raw and has been on this diet for 1.5 months. We have been slowly increasing his Enzymes to our current 4 Chemeyes capsules (2grams)incubated in 300g of food twice a day. He had been loosing weight for the last 10 months and was originally diagnosed with Tick Fever. Where we live in India not many vets had heard of EPI when I suggested it to them about 2 months ago. He went from 20kg to 16.8kg. Also his eyes have been very gunky the last 3 days and he appears a lot more lethargic. Will the poo ever reach a perfect brown colour and how can we get him to gain more weight? Should we up the food quantity or increase his Enzymes or maybe wait a little longer on what we are doing without changing anything? He still seems constantly hungry and so so thin. Any thoughts please would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Attachments
EA06964F-1B00-4A69-AD3E-AA8B0E19FF36.jpeg
EA06964F-1B00-4A69-AD3E-AA8B0E19FF36.jpeg (160.39 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
EE8BBCFA-BE4D-46F4-BAC3-0C161D8608D5.jpeg
EE8BBCFA-BE4D-46F4-BAC3-0C161D8608D5.jpeg (104.21 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
F43DC90F-D448-450D-97B3-A3056131E512.jpeg
F43DC90F-D448-450D-97B3-A3056131E512.jpeg (138.05 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
39825312-F5E1-4F60-9BD6-B1424985CE2E.jpeg
39825312-F5E1-4F60-9BD6-B1424985CE2E.jpeg (104.77 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
B052A22B-9D7E-4A46-A82B-89D033E69342.jpeg
B052A22B-9D7E-4A46-A82B-89D033E69342.jpeg (132.7 KiB) Viewed 3263 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Yellow firm poo

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Jan 2020, 09:25

Gary, what a cutie! I googled yellow firm poop and got this result:

"Orange, Yellow or Pale Colored-This is generally an issue with the liver. It could be the sign of a sign of liver or biliary disease or it could simply mean that your dog's poop moved too fast through the GI tract to pick up the bile which changes the color to the normal brown you recognize.Jun 21, 2014"

I am wondering on any blood draw if the liver enzymes stood out. Just a thought.

Will you post what is in the raw mix for food ?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 14 Jan 2020, 12:31

What a beautiful pup. Good suggestion Jill to check the liver. In addition to the exact food you're feeding what are the Chemeyes capsules you are using?

With regard to the B12 shot - are you getting the simple cobalamin - not a multivitamin? Once you are done with the 6 weeks of shots, you will need to continue supplementing B12 - you can either continue doing shots or get the B12 pills with Intrinsic Factor from Chemeyes. The lack of weight gain could be because the B12 has not been addressed, could be the enzyme ratio and/or food.

What antibiotics are you using to treat SID?
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 26 Jan 2020, 12:27

He’s beautiful. I am commenting about the Chemeyes enzymes, which I happily used for years. It is a UK product, and all UK and European enzymes are made differently. We never ever have to incubate them. The food will be unpleasant and no self respecting dog will touch it,
If you have got the capsules,there is no need to open them. The gelatine coating is intended to dissolve when it is in the stomach or guts, thereby avoiding causing irritation in the mouth and throat, and so not making the food taste unpleasant. Also his refusal to eat may be simply that the way you have used the enzymes has given him a really painful sore throat for swallowing,
My dog was a springer spaniel and I used two per meal , which is what I think you meant. Before capsules, my dog refused to eat, and I hand fed her on anything she liked, just to get food in. Enzymes disguised with tinned tuna, or Cat food worked.
Yellow poo in my book, is a sign of infection. But also a diet of chicken and bone with rice can come out pale. Is there a darker layer on the outside of the poop?
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Jan 2020, 14:54

My vet added Liver Happy(Chinese medicine) to Tucker's routine last week, and his poo is slowly going from firm golden wheat, to firm medium brown. You all may be onto something---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 27 Jan 2020, 06:09

welcome to India from Liverpool UK

Whereabouts are you in India

I think Patsy has hit the nail on the head, the variety of food can influence the colour of poo, but the addition of gunky eyes coud be some sort of infection, might be worth running this past the vets

My Kara had it all of her life and it was mainly an auto immune problem which improved with steroids

take a sample of poo to the vets to see if there are any parasites

as for weight gain , maybe some mashed potato and scrambled egg all enzymed

I have asked Suj from Chemeyes if she will answer your questions

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

SujKincaid
Pet name: Dizzy

Post by SujKincaid » 28 Jan 2020, 12:19

Welcome to the group!

Max is a beautiful boy. I think the yellow colour stools could be from the food as Jean and Patsy have suggested. It would definitely be worth checking out his eyes at the vets to see what is happening there too. With regards to increasing his weight, as you said the stools are almost formed it could be worth increasing the enzyme dose to 5 capsules for 300g to see if that helps. If they go softer, revert back to 4 capsules. The good thing is the stools are almost there which means you are heading in the right direction with the dose. Adding another meal during the day with enzymes (mash potato and scrambled egg is a popular one as Jean said) may also help too. It can take time for the weight to go back on, so try not to worry. Good luck and keep us posted, Suj

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 28 Jan 2020, 22:18

Thank you Suj for chiming in :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.