My shepherd still has diarrhea - need suggestions

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: My shepherd still has diarrhea - need suggestions

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Jan 2020, 09:26

In my opinion I would stay with the correct enzyme dose. Try feeding on a flat plate then post meal taking a wet cloth and wipe down the mouth. Or put a tasty treat in the water bowl so she has to root about in water for the treat but also serves as cleaning the enzymes off the mouth and snout. Also you can try incubating longer.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 15 Jan 2020, 13:41

Poor little pup - yes the enzymes can cause mouth sores. Try reducing the amount of water you use - you just need enough to dissolve the enzymes and coat the kibble. Then as Jill suggested feed on a flat plate so the muzzle is not stuck down in the bowl. You can also toss a few kibbles into the water so that your little one has to bob for the kibble thus rinsing the mouth.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

shepherdmom31

Post by shepherdmom31 » 15 Jan 2020, 21:48

Thanks guys. Kept the enzymes the same and decreased the amount of water to just enough to moisten the kibble this evening. I also had her bob for some treats in her water bowl. She didn’t seem to have any problems eating tonight so hopefully that will do the trick. Luckily her sores aren’t too bad and are already healing.

As of today Idgie’s poop is back to normal for the first time in probably 3-4 months! She is already acting so much more relaxed. I can’t believe it took this long to figure everything out. Such a simple fix made all the difference in just a day! Hopefully she stabilizes for good, I’ve been so stressed out about her.

Thank you guys for all your help I really appreciate it!!!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Jan 2020, 21:50

Thanks for the good report!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 16 Jan 2020, 13:22

So glad she ate and the sores are already healing. And good poop to top it off - congratulations!! Keep up the good work and know we are here whenever you need us :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Jan 2020, 16:52

That was quick!---I used turkey broth to marinate Tucker's food & enzymes, but then I read on here about poultry fat not working with some EPI dogs, so I'm trying to go without & just use water. My vet was concerned that it would taste bad & he wouldn't eat, but---I suppose once you've eaten poop (Tucker used to be a connoisseur), there's not much that's gonna taste bad. Glad those days are over. Glad to hear the sores are healing, and amazed by your progress. Good job!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.