Shepherd Puppy has EPI. Have questions.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Shepherd Puppy has EPI. Have questions.

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Jan 2020, 10:19

Did you try the combo of grain free food plus enzymes?

I bought one of the inexpensive porch lawns with drain tray from Amazon. It comes with good drain artificial turf and a scent attractor so dogs want to pee there.

Has your dog been potty trained from birth or always acted as you state?

Has he been neutered? My 13 year old spayed female has been on Proin for urinary incontinence.

Propalin is used to treat urinary incontinence in neutered bitches. Propalin is used in cases where urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence (SMI) is the underlying cause of the incontinence. Propalin contains phenylpropanolamine which stimulates the nerves that control the urethra and cause it to hold closed more firmly, therefore preventing the leaking of urine. Propalin is only effective in neutered bitches and is not useful in cases of inappropriate urination with underlying behavioural causes. Treatment with Propalin is usually lifelong.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Psyconiix
Pet name: Kylo
My name: Michael

Post by Psyconiix » 29 Jan 2020, 11:58

Yes, I used the enzymes with various grain-free.

When he was younger he acted like a normal untrained puppy. But after a while it was clear he knew he shouldn't be going, but he couldn't help it. He will tuck his ears and run. If I push his bum down to get him to sit he will pee all over himself. I truly believe he isn't untrained, and he knows he shouldn't go in the house, but he can't hold it.

The vet had us try propalin to see if he had weak control on his sphincter but alas nothing yet.

Edit: no he is not neutered. He is booked in for March.
As I've said I cannot believe this is behavioural. He tries to lick up his pee after. We can be walking outside and it's coming out. Unless he is just very stubborn but I can't see it being that.

Psyconiix

Post by Psyconiix » 29 Jan 2020, 15:44

Attached it bloodwork.
20200129_154335.jpg
20200129_154335.jpg (97.72 KiB) Viewed 2699 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Jan 2020, 20:59

From the Tli result you posted of 36.2 your puppy does not have EPI. The result is a tad higher than normal range.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 29 Jan 2020, 21:17

Hi again. Yes from that test result your dog does not appear to have EPI. I would ask your vet why they mentioned pancreatic insufficiency when clearly the test shows there is no pancreatic insufficiency. I would ask your vet to take a clean bladder sample - they will insert into the bladder to get a clean sample to see if there is a UTI or bladder infection. When my GSD was a puppy and couldn't hold it and was peeing everywhere every 10minutes he had a bladder infection. Now in the summer sometimes he will pee the bed if he's extremely tired - too tired to get up and ask to go out.

Since your dog does not have EPI I would not continue with enzymes or B12.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Psyconiix

Post by Psyconiix » 29 Jan 2020, 21:47

Ugh I'm so confused as to why my doctor would prescribe pank-aid then... I'm going to call and lose my marbles.

As for the UTI - he was treated with antibiotics and it didn't make any improvements. And the next urine test was clear.