New Diagnosis - Chihuahua

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
vero2020
State: Texas
Pet name: Skyler
My name: Vero

New Diagnosis - Chihuahua

Post by vero2020 » 04 Feb 2020, 10:46

Hello, I work for a clinic that adopted a 10 month old 2 lb chihuahua that is being treated for EPI, he has not had the test TLI blood test due to the pets size and weight, the clinic has been giving him B12 injections every three days, ampicillin twice a day, pancreatin enyzme on his food which consist of chicken and carrots, metrodazole, and propectalin.. His stools have improved in consistency but he is not gaining weight and wanted to know if you have any recommendations to improve his diet, he is an eager little eater. Everything I have found is that this effects large breed dogs, so its hard to find information for this little guys size.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New Diagnosis - Chihuahua

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 04 Feb 2020, 17:49

Hello there! Here is what I know when it comes to my shepherd mix, and I'm not sure if a tiny dog is any different. ---1) porcine enzymes. I use Diane's enzymes 1 teaspoon per cup of food . Pour room temp liquid over the food & enzymes, then marinate for 20 minutes. 2) B12, which you have covered, but I use Wonder Labs intrinsic factor B12. 3) Antibiotics. Many of us use Tylan, because it only affects the bad bacteria. You can also try slippery elm. You will soon hear from staff, and they will be more specific, but I will tell you the weight gain can sometimes start out slowly. Bless you and your clinic for helping this little puppy. ---Pam
Last edited by Tuckaboo Pam on 04 Feb 2020, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 04 Feb 2020, 17:55

OH, and chicken is not great for EPI, and his portion should be 150% of what you would feed him if he weighed what he should. So, if he should weigh 5 pounds, and the bag says 5 ib. dogs get 1/2 cup per day, you would instead feed 3/4 cup per day, probably over 3-4 feedings. Take care.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Buttermom1
Staff
State: Texas

Post by Buttermom1 » 04 Feb 2020, 21:26

Hello and welcome. Thank you for stepping up and caring for this pup. My Butterbean dropped to below 4#’s at her worst, so I know exactly how you are feeling right now. First, make sure that the amount of enzymes given are in exact relation to the amount of food. 1/4 cup of food should have a 1/4 tsp of enzymes. Feeding 150% of recommended amount is what is advised in the beginning until the weight is gained. Because Butter was so sick and so thin, we used the CliniCare liquid for her calorie uptick until she started eating well. We also had to use baby food (pure chicken with no additives) to entice her to eat. We made a super shake with these two ingredients and the enzymes, allowed everything to incubate for 30 minutes, then froze in ice trays. We took a cube or two out and allowed them to thaw back into a liquid and we would syringe feed her at first, then she began to lap it up. This was our transition to get her back to eating normal food again. She was incredibly sick and had a massive intestinal infection, so we were critical for some time. We fed multiple meals throughout the day (6 in the very beginning) as well. The weight is usually the last thing you will see return, so keep a good eye on the poop. That’s always the barometer with EPI. Please ask any and all questions you have. Feel free to email me as well at susan.epi4dogs@gmail.com if you’d like to talk specifics to the little ones. The forum is a wonderful tool to use as these folks have usually seen just about everything.....
Susan

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 06 Feb 2020, 14:01

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. Thank you so much for caring for this tiny pup. You're in good hands with Susan so I won't muddy the waters and just wanted to welcome you.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.