Oat or Oatmeal is good for EPI Dogs?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
pinglukol

Oat or Oatmeal is good for EPI Dogs?

Post by pinglukol » 09 Aug 2018, 16:00

I am reading in internet that ripe banana and oatmeal or oat is good for dogs. Is it really good for EPI Dogs? Any suggestions or sharing of experiences from my friends over here?
Hi, we are Samir & Papia. Our Pinglu is a pure Indian , born on 12 January, 2010. She had gained 23 kg. and was diagnosed with EPI in August, 2016. Then the lowest weight came to 13 kg. She is under food and medicine management of boiled chicken, potato, pumpkin with curd as probiotic and Pancreatin capsules, Tylene, vit. B12 shot as medicine.

Diane S
Staff
State: Ohio

Re: Oat or Oatmeal is good for EPI Dogs?

Post by Diane S » 09 Aug 2018, 17:22

Grains may be hard for an EPI dog to digest but some will do okay with them. If it is something you are interested in adding to their diet you should start very slowly so you can watch the stools.
Diane S.
Executive Vice President, EPI4Dogs Foundation
Chardon, Ohio, USA

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Aug 2018, 14:20

I agree with Diane..... we give an overall "suggested" diet protocol for our EPI dogs..... but if you want to try something, go for it... start with very small doses, only do 1 item at a time and see how it goes.

Every time i tried oatmeal with my EPI dog, she did not do good.. but yet some EPI dog can handle some oatmeal and do fine
On the flip side, pears are loaded with fiber and one day i caught my gal eating a pear that had fallen off the tree, she ate the whole thing and was fine... and since then i can give her a pear, Seckel pears only, the other kinds upsets her.
Go Figure!#$#!!

You just never know with some of these dogs, so we always "try it"... just a little at at time.... and just see how it goes.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 10 Aug 2018, 14:25

I agree - if you want to try it just do it slowly and watch the poops. I recently tried adding 1 tablespoon of mash banana because Doc's potassium is low - it made his poops not so good so I stopped. Be sure to log everything also :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Aug 2018, 11:07

I agree, try it and if the poop goes south, maybe not so good. Are you using any slippery elm?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 12 Aug 2018, 08:24

Diane S wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 17:22 Grains may be hard for an EPI dog to digest but some will do okay with them. If it is something you are interested in adding to their diet you should start very slowly so you can watch the stools.
thank you for the advice :D
Hi, we are Samir & Papia. Our Pinglu is a pure Indian , born on 12 January, 2010. She had gained 23 kg. and was diagnosed with EPI in August, 2016. Then the lowest weight came to 13 kg. She is under food and medicine management of boiled chicken, potato, pumpkin with curd as probiotic and Pancreatin capsules, Tylene, vit. B12 shot as medicine.

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 12 Aug 2018, 08:25

Olesia711 wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 14:20 I agree with Diane..... we give an overall "suggested" diet protocol for our EPI dogs..... but if you want to try something, go for it... start with very small doses, only do 1 item at a time and see how it goes.

Every time i tried oatmeal with my EPI dog, she did not do good.. but yet some EPI dog can handle some oatmeal and do fine
On the flip side, pears are loaded with fiber and one day i caught my gal eating a pear that had fallen off the tree, she ate the whole thing and was fine... and since then i can give her a pear, Seckel pears only, the other kinds upsets her.
Go Figure!#$#!!

You just never know with some of these dogs, so we always "try it"... just a little at at time.... and just see how it goes.
thank you. i will try accordingly :D

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 12 Aug 2018, 08:28

Madelon wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 14:25 I agree - if you want to try it just do it slowly and watch the poops. I recently tried adding 1 tablespoon of mash banana because Doc's potassium is low - it made his poops not so good so I stopped. Be sure to log everything also :)
thanks. earlier some 4- 5 months back, i had tried with ripe banana and the result was good. this time i will try oat slowly with meal and share you the result..... :)

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 12 Aug 2018, 08:29

jilbert57 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 11:07 I agree, try it and if the poop goes south, maybe not so good. Are you using any slippery elm?
thanks. i will try slowly.
slippery elm i could not find in india. again i will try. :)

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Aug 2018, 14:04

pinglukol wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 08:29
jilbert57 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 11:07 I agree, try it and if the poop goes south, maybe not so good. Are you using any slippery elm?
thanks. i will try slowly.
slippery elm i could not find in india. again i will try. :)
Because you cannot find Slippery Elm in India..... please ask your vet if he or she thinks it would be okay to try Guduchi stem & root... these have a lot of the same mucilage properties as Slippery Elm For example: Stem and aerial root exhibit abundant mucilage canals, dense ceratenchyma and characteristics wedge shaped medullary rays. Phytochemically, the various extracts showed the presence of diverse phytochemicals such as alkaloids, glycosides, polyphenols, steroids, tannins, etc..... BUT..... i am just tossing this out there.... supposedly it is a very safe herb for dogs and cats, and is available in India... but.... i have no experience with it and very little knowledge of it, so please do not go by what i am suggesting.. but rather ask a professional if this "might" be an option- - ask a vet or pharmacist first, if this would be okay to try in lieu of Slippery Elm......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........