Sibo

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Sibo

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Jan 2020, 21:38

Here is the Tylan chart, here given every 12 hrs:

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 23 Jan 2020, 22:01

Hi there. I was hoping once your vet read the research and information on our site she would have seen that 45 days and then slowly wean off is what's recommended. At Yogi's weight you'll need 1/4tsp tylan every 12hrs. You can get it without a prescription at Jedds Bird Supplies - because so many of us have been going to Jedds and Foys (i think that's the name) they have started running low on supplies. We always say you don't need a vet experienced in EPI but one that is willing to learn with you which unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case here. So, while you are looking for a new vet, go ahead and get the Tylan powder (also called Tylosin) from Jedd's and give it for 45 days and then slowly wean off - do not quit cold turkey. By the way, can't remember, have you tried Slippery Elm Bark powder?
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Yogibear
State: Michigan
Pet name: Yogi
My name: Tiffany

Post by Yogibear » 24 Jan 2020, 09:28

Thank you guys and no I did not try the slippery elm just because the I'm worried about the emergency situation that could happen when giving it. But I should have just tried that. I see doc is on slippery elm is that something you use for more than 45 days? And has he had any trouble with it. I also asked my vet about switching to grain free. She said no you don't want to do that because grain free effects the heart.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 25 Jan 2020, 12:24

Tiffany, I sent you a message about Foy's before I noticed Madelon's post. I am so pleased with my purchase. Down from $114.00 to $39.00, and it came pretty quickly. Hope you have great luck with this. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 25 Jan 2020, 12:29

Also, I told you it was 1000g, but it's actually 100g. Same exact size I paid $114 for, too!--PH
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Yogibear
State: Michigan
Pet name: Yogi
My name: Tiffany

Post by Yogibear » 25 Jan 2020, 17:47

Hi pam I just looked at the message and I must have missed that. Just glad I don't have to deal with that vet of mine to try to get more tylan because I'm sure she won't give me any more. Thanks so much for the info it will be saving me lots of money. And my yogibear needs it!

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 12 Feb 2020, 19:02

Tiffany, how are things going with Yogi?---Pam

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 16 Feb 2020, 21:45

Hi Tiffany. What emergency situations are you concerned with Slippery Elm? I haven't heard of any so far. Doc has been on it for 3 years now - it's a prebiotic mucilage that coats the gastrointestinal tract - some EPI dogs seem to do better on it.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 17 Feb 2020, 15:05

It’s used for humans too.My ninety year old f-in-law used a similar mucilage every day for his diverticulitis. It helps protect and soothe the gut. No side effects to my knowledge.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.