Acid reflux at night?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
abareilles
State: California
Pet name: shady grady
My name: adrianne

Re: Acid reflux at night?

Post by abareilles » 07 Feb 2020, 15:14

Hi,

My 9 year old minpin was diagnosed 7 years ago and I went through exactly what your going through. The not wanting to eat a meal killed me. I now feed Royal canin lowfat GI with enzymes incubated for 50 min keeping the bowl warm and the food warm. The probiotic daily and tylason have nearly taken away the gurgles. My dog still gets nauseated and smacks his lips and in that case I give him a cerenia which helps. There is also a pink liquid that has 3 medicines in it and its a stomach coat anti nausea which you may want to ask your vet about. Good luck

sian

Post by sian » 13 Feb 2020, 16:02

Sorry Jean for not replying sooner!

We are in mid Wales so not too far away from you. Quite a lot has changed in the last few weeks, quite honestly it's been a roller coaster ride. Here's the update:

We went to the vet 2 weeks ago and Howl had put weight on :-) but was still having the reflux at night. I tried feeding him later but this made things worse. So the vet prescribed him a drug called Omeprazole. It didn't do much to help the reflux but I thought it might take a few days. Then he started going off his food and looked depressed and lethargic. I thought his pancreatitis was getting worse. His reflux turned into vomiting twice a night containing undigested food and lots of bile.

I took him back to vet after 10 days, he had lost 1kg and was in a bad way. The vet did not offer any more advise but said we might increase the Omeprazole. When we got home I was a mess and made a decision to go against the vet and take him off the Omeprazole altogether and give him a Pepcid tablet before bed (they had just arrived from the US).

That night he slept soundly, no reflux or sick. He woke up and asked for food. Looked much happier and felt like eating most of the day. We went for 3 walks! So, we are now in a much, much better space. I'm hoping this will continue as he needs to recover from this knock back. I asked the vet about EPI and she said he didn't have that so it is definitely chronic pancreatitis.

Thank you for all the advice and support from people on this site. If I had not reached out, found out about Pepcid I may have gone with the vets advice and I dread to think what might have happened. So thanks. I will be coming back for more advice on diets soon and I hope this story can help someone else.

Sian

sian

Post by sian » 13 Feb 2020, 16:09

abareilles wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 15:14 Hi,

My 9 year old minpin was diagnosed 7 years ago and I went through exactly what your going through. The not wanting to eat a meal killed me. I now feed Royal canin lowfat GI with enzymes incubated for 50 min keeping the bowl warm and the food warm. The probiotic daily and tylason have nearly taken away the gurgles. My dog still gets nauseated and smacks his lips and in that case I give him a cerenia which helps. There is also a pink liquid that has 3 medicines in it and its a stomach coat anti nausea which you may want to ask your vet about. Good luck
It sounds like you have cared well for your dog and sorted out the problems. It's so stressful when you don't know how to help them! What is "cerenia" I don't think we have that in the UK
Sian

sian

Post by sian » 13 Feb 2020, 16:14

Jean wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 06:00 hi Sian

which part of Wales are you we are in Liverpool

my Kara struggled with acid reflux and was prescribed Zantac/ Ranititidine, however, it has been recalled in the UK due to cancer scares

i would definitely agree about a small meal at night of maybe scrambled egg and mashed potato, they sometimes cant cope with 8 hours plus with no food

is Howl bringing up white flegm or brown liquid ?

it might be worth trialing digestive enzymes, but keep records in the form of a diary

slippery elm might help, but rn everything past the vets
Hi Jean, thanks for the advise, much appreciated. I've just started with some enzymes and he seems to tolerate them well. A diary is a great idea. Howl likes raw egg a lot. Do you think that's OK?? He has brought up flegm and brown liquid at different times but I'm hoping those episodes are over (for the moment)
Thanks again
Sian

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 15 Feb 2020, 23:56

So glad the Pepcid has helped and he's eating. Egg is fine if he tolerates it - I personally would cook it so you don't have to worry about bacteria causing an issue. Pancreatitis requires low fat food and the enzymes in some cases does help. Jill is our expert on Pancreatitis - I'll ask her to chime in.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

cathiss45
Pet name: papit
My name: Angelo

Post by cathiss45 » 20 Feb 2020, 07:09

jilbert57 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 18:45 Hi Sian and welcome to you and Howl.
Mickey got pancreatitis in 2012 after surgery. It turned chronic for his last couple years. What food are you feeding? Do you have him on a pain medication?
Since he is not a good eater, you can try feeding before bed Rachat de crédit + trésorerie. I had Mickey on regular Pepcid at night before bed. It totally stopped the bile vomiting.
As for enzymes, Mickey was on them a year then refused to eat the enzymes. You can try them but if your pup is sickly and not eating good I wouldn't push the enzymes. Is it chronic?

Jill
In any case, you have to let him eat whatever he wants apart from too many carbohydrates and fatty acids.