Ace Update

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Ace Update

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Aug 2018, 14:59

Bpcooper14 wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 12:36 I've thought about going out and looking at the human monitors. I knew there would be some variation compared to the animal ones. That is good to know how the trending differences are when comparing one to the other. I know that the human ones are more readily available and the strips can be significantly lower in price.

This has definitely been a huge educational experience. I am a cross country and track and field coach and have had athletes who have dealt with diabetes. SO this could be helping me be better at my job. :) At least we'll use that as the positive nugget for the day from all of thise. haha.

You had mentioned taking Izzy out to play frisbee. I actually took Ace out for a little bit of a walk around 11:30 last night understanding that physical activity is always good for diabetics. I didn't want to over exert him at that point and I think it was more to clear my head then any potential good it was going to be for him. :)
If you do go the human meter, it was strongly advised to me by the k9-Diabetes community to go with the Ultra Touch II as this meter was the closest adhering one to the doggie meter.

You'd be amazed at how much this doggie health information could come in handy with people around you that might have the same health issues. a few years ago my husband had a severe acute pancreatic attack (finally determined it was from galls stones) . Was in the hospital for 4 months. 90% of his pancreas atrophied (sound familiar????) and he developed brittle diabetes too (again, sound familiar???!). Needless to say the similarities were astounding to what i manage in my Izzy daily.... EPI + Diabetes. I cannot even begin to tell you how many files of research i have on these two topics.... and ironically, with some of the information i learned more from the dog research vs. the people research.....crazy! But it came in handy when i had to take care of my husband when he first came home.........

Anyway... i swear this all happens for a reason.

Regarding exercise... i used to do blood curves before and after- -to get a read on how much it affected Izzy's Blood Sugar .... and it DOES help drop hyperglycemia.... but as you wisely did... just a little and not to over do the exercise is a good way to handle it...

Well.... it sounds like you are getting fully indoctrinated with EPI + Diabetes.... welcome to my world :)

Oh.... while i am thinking of it...... in case you continue to have swings no matter what you try over a long period of time.... if you just can't get things to level out.... have your vet test Ace's thyroid levels... my vet gave me a hard time and said no way... then he apologized when the test results came back, as Izzy had low thyroid. This all happened when she developed IMHA (don't ask, long story)... well it wasn't until we put her on thyroid med that everything leveled out with the IMHA.... and since then i have noticed that if i miss her thyroid med, when i test her blood sugar it goes high if i forget to give her the thyroid med. Not sure what the relationship is, if any........ but.......... Ironically, same thing happened to my husband after the acute pancreatitis attack with 90% of the pancreas atrophied, he too developed low thyroid too....i never could find a viable reason thru research.... but just sharing what happened in my family in case if might be of some use with your situation
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Bpcooper14
State: Virginia

Post by Bpcooper14 » 10 Aug 2018, 15:10

Olesia, you are the best! I figure at this point, I'm going to minimize all of the variables and continue to use the canine glucose monitor to minimize the "interpretive" readings when I do them. Food is going to stay the same along with the insulin for the amount of time the vet wants until we run a curve again. The family has started to know a few things to pay attention to and will let me know if they see anything. I'm getting texts during the day "Just let Ace out and he pooed". LOL
Hi all, I'm Bill. Ace was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18. In January, 2018 he was at the vet for routine check-up and weighed in at 34 lbs. In May after fighting with weeks of poor poo, he weighed 24.6 lbs. On Saturday July 28th, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic.
2 meals per day. He receives 6 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.
1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, 1/4 fat free cottage cheese. 1/2 tsp Pantenex enzymes, incubated 20-30 minutes.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Aug 2018, 19:44

okay... i am laughing here..... sounds like you have done a good job training your family.....observing Ace and reporting in. :D
Excellent plan. Stay the course, keep it simple (really smart!) and see what the numbers are averaging in a few weeks time.....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 11 Aug 2018, 16:53

Hey Bill. Just wanted to check in on you and Ace and see how things are going. Keeping you in my prayers.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Bpcooper14

Post by Bpcooper14 » 11 Aug 2018, 23:56

Fingers crossed but the past 2 days have went really well. He's back to his "normal" playful self so far
Hi all, I'm Bill. Ace was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18. In January, 2018 he was at the vet for routine check-up and weighed in at 34 lbs. In May after fighting with weeks of poor poo, he weighed 24.6 lbs. On Saturday July 28th, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic.
2 meals per day. He receives 6 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.
1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, 1/4 fat free cottage cheese. 1/2 tsp Pantenex enzymes, incubated 20-30 minutes.

Rudysmom

Post by Rudysmom » 12 Aug 2018, 08:40

Yay! Glad to hear he is feeling better!

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 12 Aug 2018, 08:49

So glad to hear he is doing well!

Barb

Bpcooper14

Post by Bpcooper14 » 12 Aug 2018, 09:25

Fingers crossed that we've gotten closer to the protocol to help keep him happy and healthy. I couldn't have made it this far without all of the help and support!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Aug 2018, 09:50

Bill, what a great report!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Aug 2018, 13:38

EXCELLENT REPORT!!!! Bet you are greatly relieved too... those diabetic highs (and lows) are very scary.

Looking forward to hearing more good reports and that you and your vet found the right regimen for Ace.